• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

I lived not far from one on the M4 in the late '80s and in those days it was the only place with any life after 11pm - I mean you could get a meal and play space invaders at 3am so we often used to ride our bikes up to the back entrance through the lanes and spend much of our misspent youth in there.
    God yeah we did this too

Comment

The Olympic Breakfast was the best hangover cure ever
      As a kid I used to dream of the Olympic Breakfast, of course we were never allowed one. My dad would make us share one round of toast and one pot of tea between four of us.

I swore if I ever got an expense account, it would be the first cool thing I did, eat breakfast (the Olympic) at a Little Chef on the way to some client site.
      I managed it eventually and lived the dream. The Olympic breakfast did not disappoint.

Actually I miss the days of taking time to get to site, of a day of travelling (paid for by the client) at leisurely pace rather than this awful 'pass the stuff through the window' and gone at breakneck speed.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

As a kid I used to dream of the Olympic Breakfast, of course we were never allowed one. My dad would make us share one round of toast and one pot of tea between four of us.

I swore if I ever got an expense account, it would be the first cool thing I did, eat breakfast (the Olympic) at a Little Chef on the way to some client site.
        I managed it eventually and lived the dream. The Olympic breakfast did not disappoint.

Actually I miss the days of taking time to get to site, of a day of travelling (paid for by the client) at leisurely pace rather than this awful 'pass the stuff through the window' and gone at breakneck speed.
        Yes, they were great - and our local one had really comfortable banquets in booths that afforded you a bit of privacy as well. I believe that Heston Blumenthal revamped one of these up near Basingstoke and they made a TV doc about it. Sadly, it's now a Starbucks like most of the others.

If you're ever in France, check out the Buffalo Grill - it's about the closest you'll get to the Chef experience though, admittedly being France, the food is better. Le Menu Sheriff is the one to go for ;-)

Comment

I'm sure I always got the "little spaceman" breakfast on long journeys to Cornwall holidays. Fried egg, sausage and deep-fried bread. I think I got to go as an adult maybe only once, as there was on near the A66 (Brough perhaps).

All about the lollipops though really.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The Olympic Breakfast was the best hangover cure ever
            Breakfast of champions that
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

https://www.sanef.com/en/area/servic...e-a16-motorway

its in about the right place, its clean, the free viewing platform is superb and the kids love the water fowl.

Most british service stations are soulless trumpholes.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I do still miss Little Chef though.
                I worked in a Little Chef, in Littlehampton, when I were a young lass. It's now a Burger King I think.

Comment

I quite liked the services near Chertsey when they first opened. No idea what they're like now.

The only other ones I've stopped at are somewhere on the M40 and probably Watford Gap.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I worked in a Little Chef, in Littlehampton, when I were a young lass. It's now a Burger King I think.
                    A3 North!

Ex cheffers unite!

Starbucks now.

I was in Coventry yesterday, they have 2 starbuck restaurants and one drive through in the one services. That does at least have tables and grass ...... overlooking the car park!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      https://www.sanef.com/en/area/servic...e-a16-motorway

its in about the right place, its clean, the free viewing platform is superb and the kids love the water fowl.

Most british service stations are soulless trumpholes.
                      Good ol' Baie-de-Somme! Exactly one meal distance from my house and the perfect place for a picnic. It's a family tradition.

Comment

Working...
                      X