• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

any UK expats living in DK here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any UK expats living in DK here?

Just looking for people who have experience living both in the UK and DK. I'm doing a contract for a DK client and all is good but they are pushing hard to get me over there as a perm. I've told them no thanks for now, but heard good things about the quality of living there, so I'm not 100% opposed to moving. I've been there once at the start of the gig and just now for a week to have some face to face discussions and I'm absolutely horrified with the cost of everything. Groceries easily 10-15% more than UK (quality seems better), going out is easily 40-50% more, petrol currently at £2.40, cars are stupid expensive (100% tax or close to it), rent cheaper than UK and nicer properties, houses easily half the cost of the UK (down south at least) and way better. Everyone I've talked to repeats the same silly mantra that "well yeah it's expensive but they get paid a lot", but that seems to be bollocks. I've been offered around 500k DKK which is around £57k, so pretty low even for UK (yes I know depends where you are, but we are comparing to contractor money here) and there tax is close to 40-45% (at this level, 50-60% the more you earn), so take home pay is less per month and most stuff is more expensive.

So, main question is, am I missing something?

If a company in Europe offered me perm I’d bite their hand off.

I’m sure that accommodation and living expenses would have been factored into the salary, although you’re doing the right thing by checking.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      If a company in Europe offered me perm I’d bite their hand off.

I’m sure that accommodation and living expenses would have been factored into the salary, although you’re doing the right thing by checking.
      Same here, but not really. I couldn't move now but I'd dearly love to and regret not doing it. Maybe when I'm a bit older it will be on the cards. I'll certainly be telling my kids to go and follow their hearts. Why anyone wants to live their life out in pissing wet through Manchester when they could be experiencing life in places like Denmark I have no idea.

For myself, and I imagine Cojak is the same, the cost of stuff is irrelevant. Quality of life of Norway would far outstrip any cost of living rises. The buzz and life improvement far exceeds looking at the price of petrol and food IMO. If you want to go go, don't let the price of bread change that. Your equivalent wealth might not be the same over there but by god living life to the full will make up for it.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 6 June 2022, 12:51.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Your equivalent wealth might not be the same over there but by god living life to the full will make up for it.
        How do you live life to the full when you get a heart attack everytime you get your bill at a restaurant or buy a round?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
          Perhaps only that it ain't all about the money. I've lived and worked in a few different countries and you're unlikely to regret it.

As an aside, DK has an expat tax scheme for (IIRC) 7 years, so you'll be paying a much lower tax rate that would ordinarily be the case in DK.

Comment

Oh, and that is obviously only the start of the negotiation if they want you that badly.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Just looking for people who have experience living both in the UK and DK. I'm doing a contract for a DK client and all is good but they are pushing hard to get me over there as a perm. I've told them no thanks for now, but heard good things about the quality of living there, so I'm not 100% opposed to moving. I've been there once at the start of the gig and just now for a week to have some face to face discussions and I'm absolutely horrified with the cost of everything. Groceries easily 10-15% more than UK (quality seems better), going out is easily 40-50% more, petrol currently at £2.40, cars are stupid expensive (100% tax or close to it), rent cheaper than UK and nicer properties, houses easily half the cost of the UK (down south at least) and way better. Everyone I've talked to repeats the same silly mantra that "well yeah it's expensive but they get paid a lot", but that seems to be bollocks. I've been offered around 500k DKK which is around £57k, so pretty low even for UK (yes I know depends where you are, but we are comparing to contractor money here) and there tax is close to 40-45% (at this level, 50-60% the more you earn), so take home pay is less per month and most stuff is more expensive.

Petrol is 2.38e per litre (1.68 DK) and not £2.40 per litre. Looking Lidle.dk , prices are about the same as the UK.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                How do you live life to the full when you get a heart attack everytime you get your bill at a restaurant or buy a round?
                The culture is different.

In most countries people don't buy "rounds" they buy a drink for themselves, their partner/spouse and their family members not friends.

They go out less often to restaurants in the evenings.

Most people don't drive they cycle and use public transport.

etc
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The culture is different.

In most countries people don't buy "rounds" they buy a drink for themselves, their partner/spouse and their family members not friends.

They go out less often to restaurants in the evenings.
                  There's a reason our Scandinavian friends don't go out, they cannot afford to. They nip across the border to Estonia or somewhere in a transit van every couple of months and load it up with cheap booze to drink at home.

I can indulge in that culture in the UK, I wouldn't say it was "living life to the full".

And yes, I know they don't buy rounds - I was talking about the price of 2 drinks
                  Last edited by d000hg; 6 June 2022, 12:55.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Coming from Yorkshire it's something I've lived with all my life
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X