• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCXLVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCXLVII

Not quite as busy today, so I've managed to get this lot sorted out a little earlier than the past couple of weeks
    • The Math Prodigy Whose Hack Upended DeFi Won’t Give Back His Millions - ”An 18-year-old graduate student exploited a weakness in Indexed Finance’s code and opened a legal conundrum that’s still rocking the blockchain community. Then he disappeared.” A very thorough explanation of just how he did it; this one was a good bit more complex than right-click-Save-As
    • Introducing the micronova: It’s not a big bang, but not exactly a small one either - ”In some white dwarfs, matter siphoned off a nearby companion piles up at the poles, and can undergo thermonuclear fusion, exploding with a tremendous blast of energy. Not as powerful as a regular nova, these events are termed micronovae.”
    • Baiting. Shoot nights. Sniffer dogs. 4500 man hours: The fox that won’t be caught - ”He’s been nicknamed Rambo for good reason: he’s the crafty fox who refuses to be caught, outsmarting wildlife managers in the Pilliga for four years. As his fame has grown, so too have theories on what makes him so elusive.” If I was in Australia I'd probably be more concerned about snakes and spiders than a fox, but this one seems to be annoying them a lot
    • Giant sinkhole with a forest inside found in China - ”A team of speleologists and spelunkers rappelled into the sinkhole on Friday (May 6), discovering that there are three cave entrances in the chasm, as well as ancient trees 131 feet (40 m) tall, stretching their branches toward the sunlight that filters through the sinkhole entrance.” Disappointingly, none of the photos in this article seem to be the actual place in question, but they're very pretty anyway.
    • /OutHorse_<Your_Email> - ”Disconnect from work and let the horses of Iceland reply to your emails while you are on vacation.” An intriguing notion from the tourist board of Iceland: why not set up Out of Office emails typed by horses walking over a giant keyboard?
    • Down and Out in Habersham - William Torrey on his descent into alcoholism during the pandemic: ”My days collapsed into a parade of hangovers so bad I wanted to die. Each morning, after waking in agony and bearing a barrage of anger from my wife, I did what I could to make breakfast for my kids… And then, somehow, unshowered and in the middle of a five-alarm headache, I’d barricade myself in my bedroom, often with a baby on my lap, skim poems by Marie Howe and Adrienne Rich and do what I could to inspire my students to be anything more than what the pandemic had rendered them: depressed and shell-shocked little thumbnails, too naive to see how booze-whipped I was and too good-natured to do anything as reasonable as bitch.”
    • India’s ‘Man-Eating’ Tigers Entangled in a Blame Game - ”That night, Shivamadaiah didn’t return home… After half a mile, they found Shivamadaiah’s half-eaten body lying under a large banyan tree. A tiger had initially aimed for the cows, says Madhusudhan. But then it pounced on their owner instead.”
    • The race against radon - It isn't just greenhouse gases released by warming permafrost: ”Deep in the frozen ground of the north, a radioactive hazard has lain trapped for millennia. But UK scientist Paul Glover realized some years back that it wouldn’t always be that way: One day it might get out.”
    • Devouring the Heart of Portugal - ”The contract was basic and boring⁠⁠—it authorized Waterlow & Sons to print a run of banknotes for the Bank of Portugal, something the firm had done before. Of course Sir William was happy to do additional business with his Portuguese clients. Later, however, he would learn that in sitting down with this innocuous-looking Dutch trader, he was entangling himself and his firm in a heist of history-making proportions.” An entertaining scam story from the 1920s
    • Nathalie Du Pasquier | construction - A collection of photos of constructions by the French artist.

Happy invoicing!

loving the outhorsing!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The Math Prodigy Whose Hack Upended DeFi Won’t Give Back His Millions - ”An 18-year-old graduate student exploited a weakness in Indexed Finance’s code and opened a legal conundrum that’s still rocking the blockchain community. Then he disappeared.” A very thorough explanation of just how he did it; this one was a good bit more complex than right-click-Save-As
      Hope we see the next step of this when he does turn up.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If he's nicked money off the wrong people he may end up sleeping with the fishes.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
        X