• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCXLV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCXLV

Been really busy today, so I'm afraid this lot had to wait
    • The 19th-Century Hipster Who Pioneered Modern Sportswriting - ”Like many travel writers, Thomas Stevens wrote in the first person. He also wrote in the present tense, so everything he recounts feels immediate, as if his journey is unfolding in real time… Nowhere, in his two volumes and 41 chapters, does Stevens bother to explain why he decided to ride a penny-farthing across three continents.” Probably just seemed like a good idea at the time
    • A pulsar is firing a 7-light-year-long antimatter stream into space - As they will: ”A tiny BB of a star just a couple of dozen kilometers across has shot out a pretty straight beam of matter and antimatter that stretches for a staggering 7 light-years — 70 trillion kilometers!”
    • Stealth Down: How Serbian Forces Shot Down an American F-117 in 1999 - ”The F-117 shootdown was an embarrassing incident that the U.S. Air Force would rather like to forget.” And speaking of the USA losing planes…
    • The Navy Extracted a Jet Fighter from 12,400 Feet below the Surface of the South China Sea - ”Earlier this year the U.S. Department of Defense suddenly faced the catastrophic prospect of forfeiting crucial defense technology to a rival when a military aircraft—packed with highly classified systems—vanished in the South China Sea. The disappearance of the single-engine stealth jet, an F-35C Joint Strike Fighter, triggered a major search-and-recovery effort by a little-known Navy organization that specializes in ocean retrieval.” If I was the most powerful military force in the world, I would simply not drop my planes into the ocean
    • Buying Authenticity: Inside the World of the Paid Crypto Shills - ”Around the world, influencers are hawking crypto projects for pay on Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok—and sometimes pushing the limits of U.S. law.” I don't suppose they think about the law very much.
    • So the $35 sculpture you got at an Austin Goodwill was looted from a museum during WWII. Now what? - ”When Laura Young found a human head under a table at the Goodwill store on Far West Boulevard in 2018, she had no idea what she was getting herself into.”
    • "Yellow Brick Road" Discovered In Pacific Ocean During First-Ever Exploration Of Underwater Volcanoes - ”The Wizard of Oz got a hat tip from scientists poking around in an ancient and underwater volcano chain in the Pacific Ocean, as they discovered what looked like a ‘yellow brick road’. The natural brickwork was actually the result of volcanic geology which has fractured the rock in a curiously uniform way.” Atlantis? Straight on, mate. Can’t miss it.
    • The hardest climb - ”A group of outdoor adventurers are revolutionizing how their sports treat the survivors of tragic accidents.”
    • Exposed by a Strava KOM: The many lives of a fake pro cyclist - ”Australian cyclist Nick Clark built a loyal following at his Virginia bike shop, based in part on his national and international results and a lengthy professional career. There was just one problem: none of it was true. This is the strange tale of the unravelling of a years-long deception – the ‘Catch Me If You Can’-like story of a man with a claimed past as a pro cyclist, a soldier, a CEO, a lawyer, an author, an academic, a hostage responder, and a weapons instructor.” At least Frank Abagnale Jr. pretended to be a jet pilot
    • The Surprising, Overlooked Artistry of Fruit Stickers - ”[Kelly] Angood, who works as a graphic designer in London, started collecting fruit stickers in the 1990s, on sort of a whim… As the years passed, her collection sprawled. She began putting her finds neatly on white printer paper, dozens of stickers per sheet, and soon had enough that she decided to start posting the best on Instagram.” And why not

Happy invoicing!

As usual we dumped an F35 in the drink before the Septics managed it.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      As usual we dumped an F35 in the drink before the Septics managed it.
      Who says that we're not pioneers in aviation?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Who says that we're not pioneers in aviation?
        We are - the first powered flight was in the UK several decades before the Wright Brothers.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

We are - the first powered flight was in the UK several decades before the Wright Brothers.
          It was a right bugger getting those Newcomen beam engines light enough, I tell you. .
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

It was a right bugger getting those Newcomen beam engines light enough, I tell you. .
            I'm not sure exactly what engine Stringfellow used in the Oram's Mill flight. Will have to investigate.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I had to remove crypto from my list of interests on Twitter because of the constant, terrible shilling totally drowning out useful news updates. The only thing worse is the Teslarati for their tireless evangelism and they're not even paid shills AFAIK, just people totally hooked on the cult of Elon.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X