• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oasis - Rate or Slate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noel has said in the past that he had about 30 songs that he had been working on for 10 years or so. When he used these up for the first 2 albums he was struggling. Same for lots of bands I reckon.
    There are still some good tunes out there but each band only seems to be able to generate 1-3 that I like. No worries, limewire 'em, play till bored and delete. I rarely know which bands they are when I hear them on the cd changer/mp3 player.

Comment

Oasis, whether you like them or not (and I do), wrote the anthems for my generation (talking about the 28-35 year old range). Ok, so they may have nicked a bit from this and that but at the end of the day there are only 12 musical notes, so eventually stuff has to be recycled. Noel Gallagher is a genuine song writing talent - shame a lot of people who are stuck in the past can't see that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Small Faces, Who, Kinks, Cream etc etc but some people cling onto the past so much they can't see the wood for the trees.

And if you want an original band that does stuff that no one else has ever done:

Radiohead.
      Last edited by freakydancer; 15 February 2007, 09:48.
      Call the cops

Comment

I think that's typical. You notice that groups usually have a great few albums 2 or 3 and then become boring. I remember Queen had 4 absolutely fantastic albums when they started, and then it all started to get a bit boring. Well for me anyway.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Muse are great, very distinctive sound (You can tell it is them even if you have never heard the track before) and they have been known to smash up the stage a few times having a laugh at the shocked looks of the presenters....

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            I remember seeing Oasis (for the first and only time) at about 1pm in the afternoon on the 2nd stage at Glastonbury in 91 or 92 - before their first album came out. Liam sat down on the drum riser for the most part. He looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Some spotty 15 yeard old oik in the crowd who obviously believed the NME hype of the time asked me what my favourite song of there's was. I said I had no idea since I'd never heard them before. He said his was "I Am The Walrus"
            I saw them around that time at the New Cross Venue when ShakerMaker (or SuperSonic) came out and they seemed a wee bit derivitive even then with the late-period beatle fixation and Liam's Ian Brown impersonations. Seeing them last night though, they are a good live act but even they know that they'll never match those first two albums.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23
              >I'd go along with Sandy there - Muse are a top class band. There's some other good stuff about, but IMHO they are the best at the moment.

but they're just a radiohead tribute band aren't they?
              No, you'll find they have progressed now - they have a Queen and Yes tribute act sung in the thom yorkie stle.

I got a ticket to see them in Antwerp just before xmas and I sat there like an old git thinking "is this what we fought the punk wars for so that a bunch of bumpkins can start pomping it up again dribbling on about aliens and black holes?"

Still, they did make a good racket.

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
                Oasis, whether you like them or not (and I do), wrote the anthems for my generation (talking about the 28-35 year old range). Ok, so they may have nicked a bit from this and that but at the end of the day there are only 12 musical notes, so eventually stuff has to be recycled. Noel Gallagher is a genuine song writing talent - shame a lot of people who are stuck in the past can't see that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Small Faces, Who, Kinks, Cream etc etc but some people cling onto the past so much they can't see the wood for the trees.

And if you want an original band that does stuff that no one else has ever done:

Radiohead.
                I agree, I have a lot of respect for Noel as he's a really talented musician and song writer. Liam's a bit of a tosser and think they all just tolerate him; you can tell he's as thick as two short planks.

Oasis are still going strong and I'm sure they have a lot left in them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
                  I agree, I have a lot of respect for Noel as he's a really talented musician and song writer. Liam's a bit of a tosser and think they all just tolerate him; you can tell he's as thick as two short planks.

Oasis are still going strong and I'm sure they have a lot left in them yet.
                  I thought they'd lost it for a while, then they brought out "The Importance Of Being Idle" - Noel's still got it when he can be arsed...
                  Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
                    Noel's still got it when he can be arsed...
                    Thats the point, they can't be arsed. For the first two albums they were trying, now they mostly don't bother. They made enough money to live the lifestyle and since then have been living instead of working. 'Older' bands were trying for longer, thats the main difference. You oldies slating them are doing what most people do when they get to a certain age, 'it's not like it was in the old days y'know!'. No it's not. Well done.

Comment

Oasis? Aren't they some sort of popular beat combo for young people?

Comment

Working...
                      X