• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is the IT market dead in the water?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I have already given 2 non-silly replies. There are jobs out there for people with Python skills.
    Sounds like my CV needs tweaking to emphasise more the big data aspects of my skill set.

Also, I'll have to stop turning down contracts with an on-site requirement, seeing as clients can just as well hire Indian contractors at a fraction of the price for fully remote contracts (as pointed out in one or two of the previous replies)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Almost total absence of my niche (Workday consultancy) contracts - was offered £600/day inside recently but needed to start immediately (and inside so no).

Very occasionally see an outside gig but I could count them on one hand since the PSC bans started.

I am a permie - not thrilled but I'd rather that than an inside gig.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Sounds like my CV needs tweaking to emphasise more the big data aspects of my skill set.

Also, I'll have to stop turning down contracts with an on-site requirement, seeing as clients can just as well hire Indian contractors at a fraction of the price for fully remote contracts (as pointed out in one or two of the previous replies)
        Yep - that might be the only difference that will give you an edge over price.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Match your skillset to the key words on the advert as that will be the agent's viewpoint of what is important in the job spec - that gets you past the first filter.

Then get the actual job spec and ensure you CV matches it so you get the interview.

Finally bulltulip in the interview to get the contract.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just finished a python contract, but there seem to be very few python contracts at the moment.

Anyone else have thoughts or impressions on the current state of the IT contracting market generally?

Normally it is boring on here when everyone is busy in contracts, and conversely buzzing when the market is dead so more of us are on the bench and have time to post shyte on here! But currently it seems pretty sedate on here as well, so I'm seeing mixed signals
            You have one of the Hottest skillset. To materialise it, you may need to combine it with PySpark (80% Python), Databricks (most of it is PySpark & SQL) and just basics of any cloud (Azure is Hot in UK)

Comment

Hot off the press.

Probably inside though.

Good luck.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  I will make the first non silly reply.

Python is super hot in the Data Science / Machine Learning world.

So if you are a reasonable Python Developer, have a masters degree in mathematics, know all the usual stuff like PyTorch, TensorFlow, Apache Spark and Jupyter notebooks, you are never going to spend a minute on the bench.

Outside of that, I expect the work has gone to the usual lowest bidders in India.
                  Except you'll have to deal with the fact that Data Scientist is no longer the 'sexiest job of the 21st century'...

A lot of people have started to enter the data science field in the last few years which might start to drive down salaries and rates.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Except you'll have to deal with the fact that Data Scientist is no longer the 'sexiest job of the 21st century'...

A lot of people have started to enter the data science field in the last few years which might start to drive down salaries and rates.
                    Doubt it will drive it down much, its making/saving a lot of money.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Doubt it will drive it down much, its making/saving a lot of money.
                      If managers think they can save money going cheap they will.

Comment

Working...
                      X