• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid, Covid, everywhere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I'm not sure that it is actually true for all diseases. I did read an article quite a while ago saying that some diseases are inherently "epidemic" rather than endemic,
    Like Bubonic Plague in Europe until the 1800s.

One of my wife's colleagues and one of my daughter's colleagues test positive yesterday. For Covid. Not Bubonic Plague.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I suspect it's going to come back horribly in the winter months coupled with poorer people, working and non-working, not being able to afford to properly heat their homes.
      It's at the highest level it's ever been in UK (or very close)... it can't really "come back." This time last year the plan was to time opening up with the warmer months so people got it out of the way before winter... which was actually working pretty well pre-Omicron. With the whole of spring and summer to let it rampage, maybe the same will hold in 2022. We do have a lot more medical treatments and by winter probably even more - the incidence of serious illness continues to fall thankfully.

I am still wondering when the vaccines will be updated from Covid 1.0/Alpha. They're increasingly a blunt instrument. Not sure I want a 4th dose and definitely not on-board with 6-monthly jabs ad infinitum.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It's at the highest level it's ever been in UK (or very close)... it can't really "come back."
        Eh? Maybe not Omicron, but another variant surely can - or our immunity will wane. My son went literally less than 3 months between infections, so without better (sterilizing, longer lasting) vaccines it seems like this pattern could go on forever.

Comment

I think I had it right at the start but since then I've no idea how I've tested negative so many times. I do wonder how effective the tests are for some people. Everyone I know, literally has had covid. Especially recently, even those a bit paranoid (sensible?) have it.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            I think I had it right at the start but since then I've no idea how I've tested negative so many times. I do wonder how effective the tests are for some people. Everyone I know, literally has had covid. Especially recently, even those a bit paranoid (sensible?) have it.
            You need to have an antibody test.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Are they reliable or do antibodies fade away after a while too?

Comment

Eh? Maybe not Omicron, but another variant surely can - or our immunity will wane. My son went literally less than 3 months between infections, so without better (sterilizing, longer lasting) vaccines it seems like this pattern could go on forever.
                Is Covid unusual in how quickly you seem able to catch it again - even vaccinated? Obviously you can get a cold over and over but as I understood it that's normally different colds?

Comment

Can antibody test discriminate between natural and vaccine acquired antibodies?

Comment

Can antibody test discriminate between natural and vaccine acquired antibodies?
                    The one I had as part of a national survey said it could.

At that time, summer last year, I had had my first Covid vaccine but hadn't knowingly caught Covid.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

IMHO, the trick is not to catch it too deep in the lungs if possible. So when I go into a crowded shop or somewhere, I try and breathe as shallowly as I can. The trouble is if you overdo the shallow breathing you start feeling faint and practically pass out!

I wonder if anyone has tried actually wearing a snorkel, with some kind of jury rigged filter or hubble bubble water filter on the end! Sounds absolutely mad - I know I wouldn't have the nerve to walk around wearing one!
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X