• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petrol prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I do.

I'm not wasting money that I could spend on other things.

The garages nearest to me are 5-8p more than elsewhere.
    Maybe but ten minutes of my time is worth more than the few quid I will save.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Thing is if you need to fill up you need to fill up. You can't be frugal with fuel except to drive more efficiently.
      According to Sue Ellen I could save 5-8p per liter by shopping around (4 or 5 quid per 70L tank)
      That could be between £100 to £200 a year depending on how many times I fill up.
      If I was a frugal contractor that might be enough to register on my radar as a possible thing to do in order to waste less money each year.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 4 March 2022, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Maybe but ten minutes of my time is worth more than the few quid I will save.
        I've always planned my routes so if I need to fill up I go pass a cheaper petrol station.

The only times I don't is if there is a fuel strike then I fill up anywhere that has fuel.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Depends if you care which fuel you use as well.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I fill up weekly, Tesco's often, who limit the pay at pump to £99 - I'm getting less and less fuel each week..

Maybe I need an electric car, charged at the clients site.....
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Depends if you care which fuel you use as well.
              I suspect there are Top Gear viewers out there that swear they can tell the performance difference between supermarket and branded fuel.

I suspect they are the same men who hand over/relieve their wife of driving duties when being dropped off/collected from the train station.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I suspect there are Top Gear viewers out there that swear they can tell the performance difference between supermarket and branded fuel.

I suspect they are the same men who hand over/relieve their wife of driving duties when being dropped off/collected from the train station.
                Well sometimes they are different fuel. Different ethanol, different water, etc. But that's not some arcane secret, they tell you. Whether there is a difference life-for-like I don't know but I don't see why there wouldn't be in terms of quality tolerances?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've stalked fuel tankers and seen the same labelled ones go to Esso, Esso Tesco and Tesco.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

While I agree with doing anything during work time, if it takes you an hour or two, either you are driving too far to get to a petrol station, or it's not pumping fuel fast enough. It should only take a minute or two to fill up.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      I've stalked fuel tankers and seen the same labelled ones go to Esso, Esso Tesco and Tesco.
                      Yeah but note the order they went in:

1. Esso
                      2. Esso Tesco
                      3. Tesco

Tesco got the dregs at the bottom of the tanker

Comment

Working...
                      X