• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The End Game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I don't get why a no-fly zone means a declaration of war.
    It has to be enforced with force
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's very much time to get out of Europe I would say.

https://www.letsdeel.com/blog/remote-work-visas

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47jdkq4vylk5to8deymmwxuo3gu828hnjk0dbbcpwf&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g.gif
Views:	151
Size:	619.4 KB
ID:	4207240
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        I can only see this ending in WWIII and the end of all life on Earth.

Same are WWII, how could WWII have been avoided once Hitler had invaded Poland?
        If Hitler had had nuclear weapons, he definitely would have used them when the war started to unravel.

Is Putin as reckless/mad? God help us if he is.

Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

But it isn’t the end game really, is it?

Because after Ukraine, Finland would be next…
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

As they aren't members of NATO....

Just did a Google - the EU would have to go in as peacekeepers, to prevent conflict or for the strengthening of international security.

https://eeas.europa.eu/topics/common...policy-csdp_en
            Last edited by SueEllen; 1 March 2022, 17:10.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If their intention to join NATO looks like it will be realised, and Putin's threats in that regard are serious
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                FWIW, I voted two(ish)

I don't think Putin ever had any intention of permanently occupying the whole of Ukraine, because for a start he doesn't have the manpower. Remember Adolph had two or three milion men in the Wehrmacht, and Stalin much the same I think, if not even more, and one needs those kinds of numbers to effectively occupy much hostile territory.

Putin wants only maybe a larger portion of East and especially south east Ukraine, so (among other reasons) he ends up with almost all Ukraine's wheat growing areas and he can make China more dependent on "Russian" wheat exports and stop them acting up over *their* border dispute with Russia!

All this current carry on in the rest of Ukraine is just to pin down Ukrainian forces while he consolidates his hold on Eastern Ukraine, and maybe to grab and eliminate the current Ukrainian leadership if he can, although how well his "cunning plan" is panning out we'll have to see.
                China isn't the only country that needs the wheat: India and Pakistan are quietly rubbing their hands in anticipation, waiting to see how things turn out:

2022-03-01 Pakistan's helping hand to warmonger Putin: Imran Khan shamelessly offers to import two million tons of wheat AND buy gas from Russia

Comment

Obviously we'd all like it to stop, but a no fly one would be a Very, Very, Bad Idea

2022-03-01 Crackpot no-fly zone demand risks nuclear war

In any case, the Russians rely more on ground-based artillery than air attacks. because they don't have much in the way of high-tech precision bombs, or many pilots competent to use them.

Comment

Assuming it is more than merely a suggestion, it would eventually mean shooting down Russian planes. Short of a NFZ, I suppose you could use NATO jets to accompany deliveries of defensive weapons and have them assume a defensive posture (only return fire when engaged), but that ultimately risks an engagement between NATO and Russian jets so, again, very high risk.

Comment

Moldova (with Transnistria as the pretext), but yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X