• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vexing phrases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Context fecking hell M didnt expect you to roll out that trite example. Spoken it would make perfect sense, why should the written word be different?
    Have you evern tried to help your Uncle Jack off a horse?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Sorry but they still teach English at school, they just don't teach much grammar because the language is tending towards function over form. Sorry to break it to you but what you were taught is no longer 'proper English' anyway. Move with the times grandad.
      Sadly true. Was talking to my other half about this thread to day and they teach the kids to start sentences with a conjunction nowadays. Was a no no back in our day. Was very surprised.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Have you evern tried to help your Uncle Jack off a horse?
        that is telling
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
          Apostrophes are for dumb****s who cant understand context, they were invented only @500 years ago by some verbose Italian.
          That's not strictly true, of some ancient documents anyway. Saxon charters and the Domesday Book for example are full of abbreviations with squiggles over them, because parchment was pretty expensive and scribes lazy and/or in a hurry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._abbreviations
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So you're boasting that your learning makes you struggle to understand something an illiterate would not find confusing?

Sorry but they still teach English at school, they just don't teach much grammar because the language is tending towards function over form. Sorry to break it to you but what you were taught is no longer 'proper English' anyway. Move with the times grandad.
            All that proves us that your teachers are as ignorant as you.

As I said - HTH BIDI
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not true about grammar teaching. It's back en vogue.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Two phrases I overuse:

It is was it is.
                Onwards and upwards.

The missus has even given up telling me to stop saying them.

Comment

Originally posted by kloos View Post
                  Two phrases I overuse:

It is was it is.
                  Onwards and upwards.

Are you a junior PM ?

Add in 'we are where we are' and you might be in line for a promotion.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Not true about grammar teaching. It's back en vogue.
                    To what sort of level? - functional or academic? I don't recall ever being taught grammar explicitly but I suppose I must have been. But I couldn't tell you what a past participle is, find what or where the gerund is, or any of that sort of thing.

Actually typing this reminded me of French lessons pre-GCSE, I think that was the only 'formal' grammar lessons we had. As he pointed out, he was teaching us English grammar to explain the French counterparts as none of us knew any of it (and this was at a reasonably good school).

Latin seems to be having a small boost in popularity too from what I hear?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by kloos View Post
                      Two phrases I overuse:

It is was it is.
                      Onwards and upwards.

The first I had a boss who always said that. I replied it is what it shouldn't be and its our job to fix it!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X