• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pumping genius

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pumping genius

Nope its not the new Pammy & Tommy blockbuster!

Cheap and efficient energy storage.

https://hackaday.com/2022/02/02/unde...e-upside-down/

Basically an underwater tank you empty with green electricity and then refill over say 4 hours with a turbine to regenerate the stored electricity. Its underwater so no eyesore, its self contained so no evaporation etc. as it works on vacuum the mechanism can be sealed. The bladder one is the best if you can make a reliable or changeable bladder

Pumped hydro storage is one of the oldest grid storage technologies, and one of the most widely deployed, too. The concept is simple – use excess energy to pump a lot of water up high, then run it back through a turbine when you want to get the energy back later.

With the rise in renewable energy deployments around the world, there is much interest in finding ways to store energy from these often-intermittent sources. Traditional pumped hydro can help, but there is only so much suitable land to work with.

However, there could be a solution, and it lurks deep under the waves. Yes, we’re talking about underwater pumped hydro storage!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cropped_shot_2022-02-02-084923_featured.png?w=800.png
Views:	174
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	4203420
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I assumed that was going to be this story but in fact it seems different... this relies on basically pumping it into balloons which then passively generate power when needed:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60066690

I like the low-tech approach. Carpeting the ocean floor with huge batteries is clearly not great.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Fascinating. Wonder if they've been to see Port Dinorwig - it's been there since the late seventies...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Many people have a garden, I was wondering if a long and large spring can be buried in each garden, and cheap or surplus energy winds the spring up like an giant old fashioned clock mechanism?
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Fascinating. Wonder if they've been to see Port Dinorwig - it's been there since the late seventies...
          Beat me to it.

Put wind turbines on the dam to pump the water back up.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You seem to have missed the part where it explains
            Pumped hydro storage is one of the oldest grid storage technologies, and one of the most widely deployed, too.
            They're not claiming it's a new idea. I don't think this has been done in an offshore setting though - and the future of wind is most definitely offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I assumed that was going to be this story but in fact it seems different... this relies on basically pumping it into balloons which then passively generate power when needed:
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60066690

I like the low-tech approach. Carpeting the ocean floor with huge batteries is clearly not great.
              They mention the bladder version in my link and I personally think that is a winner because they can control the contents (have a sterilised water source in a rigid tank for the bladder so the pump doesn't get fouled) but use the raw atmospheres on the balloon to to shrink it. Now I'm thinking a piston and cylinder (self scraping and will last centuries with a little care) with a similar set up.

If it don't upset the marine habitat and reduce emissions significantly it sounds great to me. We are talking a few hundred feet down.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                its offshore Hydro same idea as a dam and pumped storage but without flooding villages and destroying habitats. There is no reason why deep lakes can't use these as well.

Its what we need to flatten the spikes in demand, instead of firing up an old dirty coal or gas station to cover the post corrie cuppa we can use these. Also instead of turning off the wind farms we can load them with charging these.

Our grid needs stable consistent power (otherwise it overloads) but with the ability to cope with significant spikes , wind and waves aren't able to provide that but with storage they will be able to.

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/news...uro-2020-final

Maybe a hybrid solution, an on land bladder with a connection underwater? A bit like a Gasometer? Or even a complete above ground gasometer style cylinder being pumped up and down. They have been viable for centuries.
                Last edited by vetran; 4 February 2022, 12:51.

Comment

Hydro without needing to rely on gravity is quite a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Hydro without needing to rely on gravity is quite a big deal
                    It is relying on gravity. Where do you think the pressure comes from? The weight of the water above it, and why does the water weigh something? oh yes gravity.

What you mean is Hydro without requiring the water to fall a long way is a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X