• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experiences of life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quip from David Baddiel's recent documentary about social media summed it up for me. He had a friend who said "if it wasn't for masturbating, I would have built empires."

Before you know it, years and decades of your life pass you by. I've had some horrendous periods in my life with both my parents being seriously ill for many years and then dying. But overall, I've had a good life in terms of family, kids, friends, career and outside interests such as being fortunate to travel all over the world.

My dad passed away at the start of this month and it's made me realise you have to actively live your life and do the things you want to do but don't get distracted by material things. When your time eventually comes, it's unlikely you'll wish you could have had a bigger house, more money etc but rather wish you had spent more time with family and friends.

I feel like I'm about to start a new chapter of my life and feel positive about what might happen. If you have that opportunity now then seize it with both hands.

Comment

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Here's a tip for a productive life, or indeed much more life: Don't eat it rare or even medium rare!
        Goodness me no. I've sent my wife to procure some cow bones and I'm going to slow cook a stew for 8 hours. My son was in Abu Dhabi and brought back some herbs and spices and stuff, so I'll use those as well. All cooked in my clay pot.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What do I do in my spare time?

I go to church. (German)
          I'm getting training from a professional in the church to do sound engineering. (In German)
          I help run a course explaining Christianity (Alpha course, German)
          I am involved in amateur dramatics, from acting, sound engineer (English).
          I am involved in amateur dramatics, mainly acting and singing. (German)
          I have a delightful wife I've been married to for 31 years and we're still in love
          I have two grown up daughters living with us, both about the graduate, both intend on living here until love or work draw them away.
          I have two grand children.
          An ex-colleague asked me over ten years ago to write software for his company at a very high rate. I complied and delivered. Then he ask me to deliver a second product, and I asked instead of a rate, a percentage of net sales (after the salesman's commissions). I got that for five years. Now I work as an employer of that company. My salary is slightly less than the directors, but more than enough to cover my lifestyle.

I'm not proud of this. Just happy that my life turned out well.

I agree with edison. Reach out with both hands and grasp every opportunity. I'm happy to reach out and grasp my wife.
          Last edited by NotAllThere; 1 February 2022, 09:41. Reason: Fixing typos
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have learnt not to trust anyone, not even your wife.
            Don't trust your mates too much - they will stab you in the back sometime in the future.
            Don't waste your money. When you get a better paying contract, save up and invest.
            Do not do favours for people.
            Treat freshies like freshies - the moment you treat them as your equal, they start thinking they are above you.

Comment

A German Nicky Gumbel, I had never considered that NotAllThere
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                I have learnt not to trust anyone, not even your wife.
                Don't trust your mates too much - they will stab you in the back sometime in the future.
                Don't waste your money. When you get a better paying contract, save up and invest.
                Do not do favours for people.
                Treat freshies like freshies - the moment you treat them as your equal, they start thinking they are above you.
                Doesn't sound like you've learnt much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Goodness me no. I've sent my wife to procure some cow bones and I'm going to slow cook a stew for 8 hours. My son was in Abu Dhabi and brought back some herbs and spices and stuff, so I'll use those as well. All cooked in my clay pot.
                  I like it slow cooked in red wine & port - start off with half a bottle of each, then top up with 1/2 the remaining port & wine after about 8 hours (you'll want juniper berries, thyme, onions and garlic in there too)
                  Tastes best if you recook it on the second day with the remaining port & wine, and if you don't eat it all that day, keep it in a low oven and keep it moist with more wine.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I like it slow cooked in red wine & port - start off with half a bottle of each, then top up with 1/2 the remaining port & wine after about 8 hours (you'll want juniper berries, thyme, onions and garlic in there too)
                    Tastes best if you recook it on the second day with the remaining port & wine, and if you don't eat it all that day, keep it in a low oven and keep it moist with more wine.
                    I wonder what makes it taste so good?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      This was supposed to be a parroty thread!

You mean you're not getting a life? I was thinking for a minute one of us was going to break out, but seems you're as trapped in this hell as the rest ....
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X