• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice to a young person wishing to get into web design

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice to a young person wishing to get into web design

One of my nieces finished a graphic design course, or similar, a year or two ago and now would like to get into web design or programming somehow, and is seeking advice.

I don't think she has much, if any, experience with programming per se, e.g. JavaScript or PHP etc, and in my experience lacking that is a major obstacle to web development generally (although maybe I have been engaged more with that aspect due to past development experience).

Any constructive thoughts on how to get a foothold in this area, jobs wise, for someone who isn't too technical and not experienced, but (I gather) quite artistic?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Create design for webpages in photoshop and put them out on various design websites.

A designer is not the same as a web developer. A web developer will use HTML and CSS + Javascript skills to convert the design in photoshop into the actual webpages.

https://portfolio.adobe.com/themes
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Just my penny's worth. Say ten or more years ago some clients may be happy with a good looking website, I don't see that today. Clients require functionally on top of an attractive design. I think she needs to work at it especially of the application development side.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

focus on the graphic design side, as that's what she has experience in. Learning to code is going to take many years if she doen;t have any background at all.
        But if she were to apply for graphic design jobs as web hosting/designing companies that would be the best start. That way she can determine what code to learn and potentially have someone help her with pointers.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Apprenticeship is the way to go, degree if at all possible. Learn on the job with the ability to move around and pick the one she wants. If it's a big enough company with a structured plan to work in different areas she may actually end in an area she didn't think she'd like or even existed. My niece started an IT apprenticeship with a large company and has gravitated towards UX and rather than the tech/PM service route which she'd never considered at the start.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Albeit Graphic design is not necessarily Front-end development, the journey in Front-end dev is rather long (e.g. CSS, JS, React / Angular Framworks etc). You could recommend learning SQL, PowerBI/Tableau and move into Data Analysis.

Comment

I'm sure she can find a niche in UX design with her skills without being a coder though, of course, she'd need to get a good grounding in how modern web interfaces work.
              Something the designers who put together the Figma mock ups at my current client clearly know very little about!

Comment

Frontpage. Was a sideline for me in the 90s.
                if it was good enough for me, then it’s good enough for your “niece”
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Roll Out The Farrell View Post
                  I'm sure she can find a niche in UX design with her skills without being a coder though, of course, she'd need to get a good grounding in how modern web interfaces work.
                  Something the designers who put together the Figma mock ups at my current client clearly know very little about!
                  Agreed

I've worked with companies who have UX designers. It's interesting to see how people use websites and web applications.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 22 January 2022, 20:09.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So she knows a bit of art and something about computers and wants to make money, well Web 3.0 is her answer. Just get her to make NFTs and stick them up on https://opensea.io/
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X