• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hope this isn't one of you -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So, they can't sell their house to anyone who whispers, or is proud. And they shouldn't try to sell if it's clear they are happy to break the covenant they enter into with their estate agent, or if they show no mercy to others.
    I assume even to you it's clear "whisperers" doesn't mean people who go round talking sotto voice? Like when we call people "snakes in the grass" we don't literally mean they are snakes.

I'm not sure why the other things are a problem to you, why you highlighted the ones you did? Possibly "without understanding" would have been the most apt
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I assume even to you it's clear "whisperers" doesn't mean people who go round talking sotto voice? Like when we call people "snakes in the grass" we don't literally mean they are snakes.

I'm not sure why the other things are a problem to you, why you highlighted the ones you did? Possibly "without understanding" would have been the most apt
      It may be "clear" to some, but they insisted on using the KJV with it's archaic language, which makes it easy to be re-interpreted to suit whatever message the person quoiting it wants.
      The other things aren't a problem to me, per se. I have a bigger issue with "Christians" who preach and live Paul's epistles, but ignore (or don't live by) Christ's teaching.

And I accept I am without understanding in many things, for example when it comes to the questions that those in Corinth wrote to Paul that prompted the two of his replies which made it in to the NT. Or how the parable of the sheep and the goats applies to the current direction this country is heading in.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

"Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
        Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
        Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful..."
        Doesn't all that describe estate agents rather well? Or am I thinking of recruitment consultants?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

It may be "clear" to some, but they insisted on using the KJV with it's archaic language
          Yeah I don't get that either. It's quite common in a certain type of conservative as if they think it's the "original" version and more modern ones are less accurate, rather than that it was written in (I assume) the language of the time. It can be a lovely way to read scripture - I prefer the NKJV - but we had pretty major ructions to get the bible accessible in English a few centuries back after all.

That said "whisperer" is still pretty obvious. If you described Dom Cummings as a whisperer I think we'd know what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Doesn't all that describe estate agents rather well? Or am I thinking of recruitment consultants?
            Well everyone knows agents are mostly gay, that's probably why this couple used PB in the first place

Comment

I'm surprised the bible (and similar fairy-tale books) is still legal to sell as it is homophobic literature
              Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I saw this and was looking for the other thread on this similar theme and the gay cakes and tack it on to the end.

The gay cakes gate ended in the appeal from the cake makers being upheld in the supreme court
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32065233

Looks like the cake appeal will provide case law for instances like the house but it won't as they appeal went on the message of the cake not the orientation of the purchaser. They would have refused to do the cake with that slogan whatever the sexual orientation of the customer so it wasn't discriminating directly against the orientation of the customer so not discrimination. In this case it is direct discrimination against the two gentlemen wanting to buy it so will be an interesting one. I expect the couple will lose if this goes to court.
                The couple could only take PB to court as they don't have a contract with would-be house sellers. As PB has taken appropriate action e.g. told the would-be sellers where to go, no court action is needed.

The only other action would be for old Bill to get involved and do the would-be sellers for hate speech or something else, but as this is now in the public domain there is no need. In fact it's even worse for the couple as the media have stated where one of them works and most employers/companies have policies written into contracts that you can't bring their name into disrepute.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'll doubtless get shot down for this by the bedwetters on here but...

Surely it's entirely up to the house owner who they sell their house to, regardless whether the potential buyer is gay, green with orange spots, a horned dwarf alien from the planet Zarg or a property developer?

The world's gone soft.
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
                    I'm surprised the bible (and similar fairy-tale books) is still legal to sell as it is homophobic literature
                    The holy books are open to interpretation which is why people study them for years and argue/discuss the meanings of sections.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                      I'll doubtless get shot down for this by the bedwetters on here but...

Surely it's entirely up to the house owner who they sell their house to, regardless whether the potential buyer is gay, green with orange spots, a horned dwarf alien from the planet Zarg or a property developer?

The world's gone soft.
                      Totally, and if they don't want to sell their house because they have a check list of requirements, that's entirely up to them. But if they wanted to use a proper estate agent, they won't have the opportunity to find out the background of the buyer until they have accepted an offer.
                      It is only because they decided to do it privately that they were able to apply their personal opinions to people who wanted to view the house.

The world hasn't gone soft, the bedwetters are getting to decide who they can and can't sell property to based on their personal bias, which isn't necessarily the best way to sell a property if you're wanting the money to buy another.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X