• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Royals and Promises of a "Better Girlfriend" to Scam Stupid People

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Royals and Promises of a "Better Girlfriend" to Scam Stupid People

Fake endorsements from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are being used on social media to promote Bitcoin-related investment schemes.

Another says: "My ex-girlfriend dumped me because I was too poor.

"Now I'm a multi-millionaire and I have an even better girlfriend."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60040937

Is it harsh to suggest that if people make bitcoin investments because they read an obviously fake article on social media, they really do deserve what they get?

(the irony, of course, is that i'm sure at least one person on here has admitted to losing a sheadload on crypto after scoots started posting his crayon-art)
    Last edited by Paralytic; 20 January 2022, 12:10.

I guess they want the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to sue the social media companies. After all they aren't afraid of legal action.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I guess they want the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to sue the social media companies.
      US social media companies are shielded very nicely from lawsuits around user-generated content.

Also our cute paralegal is certainly aware how expensive it is in the USA...

Comment

I'm surprised how many phony ads can appear on legitimate sites. Seen dodgy investments promoted by "Lord Sugar" or "Oprah Winfrey" among others. Darn sure they wouldn't do that.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Is it harsh to suggest that if people make bitcoin investments because they read an obviously fake article on social media, they really do deserve what they get?
          So when people get exploited, it's their fault?
          There are still lots and lots of people who grew up pre-internet and simply don't understand what on earth is going on. And many people who just are not totally compos mentis enough to realise an email or letter is a scam.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            So when people get exploited, it's their fault?
            There are still lots and lots of people who grew up pre-internet and simply don't understand what on earth is going on. And many people who just are not totally compos mentis enough to realise an email or letter is a scam.
            Exploited - the woke term for what people used to accept as really being simply greedy, naive, or stupid (*)

*In most cases - there are certainlly instances where vulnerable people are exploited, and they should be protected, but the cases are in the gross minority of those that get scammed.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I'm surprised how many phony ads can appear on legitimate sites. Seen dodgy investments promoted by "Lord Sugar" or "Oprah Winfrey" among others. Darn sure they wouldn't do that.
              Martin Lewis (from MoneySavingExpert) has complained about people impersonating him in adverts. He's asked the government to include scam adverts in the Online Safety Bill:
              Martin Lewis, Sir Richard Branson, Deborah Meaden and other public figures issue plea to the PM to put scam ads in the Online Safety Bill (moneysavingexpert.com)
              (It's worth watching the 4 min video about halfway down the page.)

There seems to be a weird loophole at the moment. Basically, if I post something on my Twitter account saying "Elon Musk wants you to buy my NFT" then I'd get into trouble. However, if I pay Twitter to put out an advert with the same message, that's totally legal.

Comment

Working...
              X