• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They are now threatening each other

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are now threatening each other

Tory MPs are now being threatened and blackmailed by the whips.

Sir William Wragg, Chair of Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee ,has stated that MPs have come to him and said this to him.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...latest-updates

William Wragg, the Conservative chair of the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee, has accused the government of trying to “blackmail” MPs pushing for a confidence vote in Boris Johnson. He made the claim in an opening statement at the start of this morning’s committee hearing. Wragg, of course, is one of the few Conservative who has publicly called for Johnson to go.

Here is the statement in full.

In recent days a number of members of parliament have faced pressures and intimidation from members of the government because of their declared or assumed desire for a vote of confidence in the party leadership of the prime minister.

It is of course the duty of the government whip’s office to secure the government’s business in the House of Commons.
    However it is not their function to breach the ministerial code in threatening to withdraw investments from members of parliament’s constituencies which are funded from the public purse.

Additionally, reports to me and others of members of staff at No 10 Downing Street, special advisers, government ministers and others encouraging the publication of stories in the press seeking to embarrass those who they suspect of lacking confidence in the prime minister is simply unacceptable.

The intimidation of a member of parliament is a serious matter. Moreover, the reports of which I’m aware would seem to constitute blackmail. As such, it would be my general advice to colleagues report these matters to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, and they’re also welcome to contact me at any time.

Wragg also asked Steve Barclay, the Cabinet Office minister, to ensure his concerns about this were passed on to the government. Barclay said he would.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 20 January 2022, 10:27.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Apparently Conor Burns, Secretary of State for NI, is willing to say on record that Christian Wakefield has "personal problems" which is why he defected to Labour.

And he's got his insults ready for David Davies.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 20 January 2022, 10:34.

Comment

Preston, political editor of ITV, states that Sue Grey has a copy of an email to Boris Johnson's PP Secretary that the party on 20 May 2020 should not go ahead.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-17/...really-matters

She has also told the sender of the dynamite email she would like to speak with him but has not yet.

When she does, he will both point her to the email and he will tell her that Reynolds immediately came to his office after receipt of the email and asked him why the party should be cancelled. Mr Reynolds was told by the email sender - “in the nicest possible way” - that the party was a kind sentiment but it should be cancelled because it broke the rules.

Mr Reynolds allegedly said he feared it could be more embarrassing to cancel. The official cannot remember whether he also told the PM the party should be cancelled. “I probably did but I honestly can’t remember,” he told me.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 20 January 2022, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Preston, political editor of ITV, states that Sue Grey has a copy of an email to Boris Johnson's PP Secretary that the party on 20 May 2020 should not go ahead.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-17/...really-matters
        In which case the PPS should resign or be sacked, surely...

And it's Peston, incidentally; another soi-disant campaigning journalist with a strong bias toward idiocy. Been an embarrassment for years.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

In which case the PPS should resign or be sacked, surely...

And it's Peston, incidentally; another soi-disant campaigning journalist with a strong bias toward idiocy. Been an embarrassment for years.
          Ah, must trust Boris, must belittle and reject anyone who disagrees. Got it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

must belittle and reject anyone who disagrees. Got it.
            The hypocrisy is strong in this one. People don't disagree with you because they're Boris sycophants. They disagree with you because you are a blinkered one-track idiot.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Ah, must trust Boris, must belittle and reject anyone who disagrees. Got it.
              Sorry? The PPS called the party, the PPS was told it should not go ahead, the PPS wimped out of cancelling it through embarrassment, so the boss should resign. Perhaps Boris should resign, but not over this particular piece of nonsense. There are two PPSs at present, both MPs of course, so you can't actually sack them, only remove them from their post.

Are you really sure it's me that's getting this all wrong?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Apparently Conor Burns, Secretary of State for NI, is willing to say on record that Christian Wakefield has "personal problems" which is why he defected to Labour.
                It's Christian Wakeford. And he does have problems, this is what the good people at Momentum think of him:

So let's get this straight. Keir Starmer has just welcomed an anti-BLM, climate-change denying, pro-tax dodging Tory MP onto the Labour benches.

And he's got his insults ready for David Davies.
                Thick as mince? Or something original?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Anthony Mangnal, MP for Totnes and Devon

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMangnal1/...CzwY661ZgpAAAA

I have gone against against Government on quite a lot of matters.

I have NEVER been threatened or blackmailed by a Minister, Whip or SPAD.

It wouldn't work woth me and not sure it would with any other colleague.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

It's Christian Wakeford. And he does have problems, this is what the good people at Momentum think of him:
                    I don't rate Momentum but if you welcome a Tory into your party you know they are going to have a tulip voting record. Interestingly the last MP became an independent.

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Thick as mince? Or something original?
                    To be fair there are loads of insults for David Davies. So I guess they would have to find some sexual scandals again e.g. https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/...f-6865914.html

Comment

Working...
                    X