• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dating site accounts created by unknown party

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dating site accounts created by unknown party

I have received a few legit looking mails informing me that my profile has been accepted to an extramarital dating site and that my profile requires activation.

All well and good except I did not create the account so this is either scam or more worryingly a malicious attack on my good character (coincidently there is an current police investigation regarding an ex friend of my wife who has caused a few 'problems')

I have requested full details of the account creation for the data compliance department but unsure what else I can do.

Has anyone else experienced the same if so how did you resolve the situation?

Are you sure they have more than just your email+display name and this isn't just normal spam linked to some random data breach?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ignore, anyone can register your e-mail at any site they want to, the main thing is that they don't activate it. No harm done if the profile isn't activated no-one will know. I got on the wrong side of someone who ordered stuff to my address which I simply put back in the post box.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Are you sure they have more than just your email+display name and this isn't just normal spam linked to some random data breach?
        Not sure - the URLs and mail addresses look authentic enough but it may well be a scam - it is suspicious that there was no mail to confirm my email address...

We have had fraudulent activity on our credit card recently so this may be linked to that.

Comment

And back in the real world.......
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Not sure - the URLs and mail addresses look authentic enough but it may well be a scam - it is suspicious that there was no mail to confirm my email address...
            As said it could be a data breach, your email address could have been online anywhere so harvested or it could be some spammer trying their luck.

I get them all the time and have very good spam filters.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Are you using Parasol dating, NW Dating or SJD dating?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

(coincidently there is an current police investigation regarding an ex friend of my wife who has caused a few 'problems')
                Surely you can check if the site is bona fide so that writes spam/phishing out? My money is on someone setting you up to see if you'll get interested and spend a bit of time on the site and then out you if you log on a bit too often or create a profile.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quite a clever move by TheDude. Join some dodgy sites but make sure you report at least one as 'fraudulent', and post about it on CUK. When the wife finds out he can say "it must be Russian hackers" and even "look, I asked about it on this forum a year ago."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Surely you can check if the site is bona
                    Boner, Shirley?