• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewed by an amateur

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewed by an amateur

I had a phone screen for a large consultancy with a fairly poor reputation for charging out poorly skilled staff at a premium rate.

I normally wouldn't consider such a position but I was waiting on a renewal (which has now arrived) and the rate on offer was pretty decent.

The guy who interviewed me clearly did not understand the technology involved and argued about several of my (correct and in depth) technical answers.

Reading between the lines they seemed more interested in my ability to get a team of junior developers up to speed on the relevant technology.

As expected I did not get moved to the next round. I am not bothered but has anyone else encountered a gatekeeper to a position that they were clearly not qualified for?

between that and tyre kickers it seems to be half the interviews I had.

Also incredibly high expectations for low wages.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Some consultancies will try to hire experience staff and then try to use them to train their junior staff. I had one gig via TCS for a retail bank - alongside the project work, the consultancy tried to get me to mentor/train their junior staff who were at the same client. I just kept ignoring the requests.

Comment

On the few occasions I interviewed for such roles it was also quite apparent they were after someone of the same ethnic background.

The usual weirdness is asking very detailed "in the docs" questions about specific technologies and then saying that your correct answer is wrong.

Comment

Sounds like you've dodged a bullet there.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Sounds like you've dodged a bullet there.
            indeed
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thankfully no. I look at the JS, and if not what I'm looking for I wouldn't do interview - I only use a narrow number of agencies too who I know really well so that probably helps. Maybe it's more prevalent if applying for roles on Jobserve/LinkedIn??

Sounded like a nightmare though and best avoided.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
              X