• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris Johnson tests positive for Covid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then there we go - admits responsibility, admits regret, admits he was there, apologises.

Is it too late to salvage any scraps of credibility though, even from his own MPs let alone anyone else?
    If Keir can't score big from this he might as well go too.
    Last edited by d000hg; 12 January 2022, 12:06.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The NI MPs seems to be doing better in giving it to BJohnson.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Well then there we go - admits responsibility, admits regret, admits he was there, apologises.

Is it too late to salvage any scraps of credibility though, even from his own MPs let alone anyone else?
        If Keir can't score big from this he might as well go too.
        I think he's actually made it worse, if that were possible.

To borrow these immortal words from twitter: "I believed implicitly that this was a work event."

Click image for larger version

Name:	FI5q8yVX0AAxzbD?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	4199591

Comment

He's being mocked by his "honourable friends"

Comment

Can they now call him a liar in parliament, or is that still not allowed?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Can they now call him a liar in parliament, or is that still not allowed?
              Not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Not allowed.
                Maybe they need to misspeak and make up words "Mr Johnson reminds me of Tony Bliar"
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I seem to remember local jingoists attending VE Day street parties that involved BYOB and mixing with lots of people around the same time...

Comment

Professional Lawyers opinion on it.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...570390021.html
                    The Johnson apology was carefully worded and obviously lawyered. He said that he attended because he "believed implicitly that this was a work event", that "with hindsight" he should have sent everyone back inside, and "technically" it could be said to fall within the guidance.

The apology - when read carefully - was to the millions of people who "wouldn’t see it in that way", but because he also said technically it could be said to fall within the guidance he is implicitly saying the millions of people are wrong in their interpretation.
                    This was only what *he* thought the event was. He "went into the garden to thank groups of staff for 25 minutes [he] believed implicitly this was a work event". So defence is a personal one only and leaves open the possibility the event was something else without him realising

This is very much about his personal liability - he is implicitly denying he knew what the event was, had seen the email or had anything to do with it. Because here's the key point: on the wording of email ("bring your own booze") this couldn't technically have been a work event
                    Although, he might say that even a boozy party for staff was "reasonably necessary for work" to thank staff for their hard work during the pandemic. I doubt that would hold weight given the govt guidance at the time discouraging workplace gatherings.

Also, how do you believe something implicitly? Is the point that he didn't really understand the rules he had set? Or not particularly engaged with them?

Also, PM has probably been advised that the only possible personal liability would be as an accessory to others' criminal offences (he wasn't outside of his home so not subject to the restriction on movement regulation). So has to say he "implicitly" didn't believe it broke rules

The ultimate point is that at the time if anyone had asked the Prime Minister or Health Minister whether it was lawful to have a social work gathering outdoors for 100 with alcohol and food they would have answered with a very hard "no". This is all ex post facto face saving

It is proper nonsense and doesn't make any sense at all given what the government were telling everyone else to do at the time.
                    Also, if any photos or video appear and it looks like a party then the whole defence of "I didn't know it was a party" goes out of the window.

The irony of it being the prime minister, not his “Islington lawyer” opponent, excusing his actions on a “technicality“
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                      I seem to remember local jingoists attending VE Day street parties that involved BYOB and mixing with lots of people around the same time...
                      Last time I checked they didn't live in 10 Downing Street and made the rules that the English voters had to adhere to otherwise the police would tell them to move along or fine them.

Comment

Working...
                      X