• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Universal Credit Claimant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Universal Credit Claimant

Bet he doesn't like Iain Duncan Smith now.

Oh and now we know why his estranged wife has a second job because he's sponging off her.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/u...e-b967279.html

Disgraced former Tory MP Charlie Elphicke has said he is unemployed and making a Universal Credit claim as he was called to court over his failure to pay £35,000 following his sentence for sexually assaulting two women.
    The ex-Dover MP, 50, was released half-way through his sentence earlier this year, having being jailed for two years in September 2020 after being found guilty of three counts of sexual assault following a month-long trial.<snip/>

Elphicke’s barrister Ian Winter QC had told the court his client had “a fair bit of debt”, and that his estranged wife, Natalie Elphicke, now the MP for Dover, loaned him £100,000 to pay for legal bills. <snip/>

He said he had paid six months’ rent up front for a one-bedroom flat, valued online at nearly £475,000, in Fulham, south-west London adding: “That is why I have very limited cash to meet my living expenses.”

“I have made a claim for Universal Credit that is currently being processed,” Elphicke said.

“They are going to come back to me on December 12 to make sure I can pay the rent in an ongoing way.”

He told the court he had worked with the Step Change debt charity to assess his financial situation but the £1-a-month repayment proposal was not accepted by the court.

“I have no job, I have no career, I am long-term unemployed,” said Elphicke.

“I am working with the job centre and my probation officer to find a new career.

“I have made a claim for Universal Credit.

“I am separated from my wife who has filed for divorce. I have had to find a new place to live.”

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

There is no shame in claiming everything you are entitled to

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      There is no shame in claiming everything you are entitled to
      Otoh, there is shame in being a whiny, scheming, cretin who is overly focused on the minutia of what UK tax they can avoid next.

Comment

Funny a man decides to claim off his better paid wife he is sponging, yet if the wife does the same she is getting what she is entitled to.

Maybe check your gender privilege?

To be fair if anyone is entitled then good on them. If we got it wrong then we need to fix it. If they lied we need to prosecute.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Funny a man decides to claim off his better paid wife he is sponging, yet if the wife does the same she is getting what she is entitled to.

Maybe check your gender privilege?
          Guess you didn't realise they are individuals who as MPs are/were both unpleasant in different ways.?

If it happened the other way round I would call her sponging -
          https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/20...our-second-job

​​​​​​

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Guess you didn't realise they are individuals who as MPs are/were both unpleasant in different ways.?

If it happened the other way round I would call her sponging -
            https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/20...our-second-job

​​​​​​
            hey just because there are scumbags no reason to support the losing side..

Comment

Lovely man, convicted sex offender and accused of xenophobia, but he chose not to defend himself on that one. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21617521
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Lovely man, convicted sex offender and accused of xenophobia, but he chose not to defend himself on that one. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21617521
                As you say, a sex offender that brought all this on himself, and yet some on here still try to defend the indefensible because he's a Tory.

He didn't have to live in Fulham; as he's not working he could have lived anywhere in the country and chose a much less expensive neighbourhood.

I'm sure one of the Tory fan-boys will be along soon to tell us why this poor chap has been treated badly and needs all the help us tax payers can give him
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

He chose fulham because he could not afford Knightsbridge

Unfortunately the housing benefit system actively encourages people to stay in central London because the housing benefit is dependent on the local LHA rates -

If this person lived in wales and paid £300 a month rent it would not make a difference to his take hime pay then if he lived in Fulham paying £1,285 which is the LHA max rate

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Now buying a ferry is Xenophobic do you boys not realise you have fully jumped the shark?

Comment

Working...
                    X