• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's not cricket...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not cricket...

but Yorkshire Cricket.

Racist name calling which has been used to abuse/attack people is never "banter", no it isn't ok to make another foreigner the fall guy for your screw up and the loss of money may help them think differently...

https://news.sky.com/story/azeem-raf...claims-1245904

Several Yorkshire cricket club sponsors have cut or are reviewing ties with the side amid a deepening race row.

David Lloyd Clubs said its relationship with the club was "put on hold a few weeks ago" and would not be reinstated and Yorkshire Tea ended its contract, which was due to end soon, with "immediate effect".

The Emerald Group, a publishing company based in Bingley, also cut ties with the team as political pressure ramps up amid racism allegations by a former player.

They were followed by the Age Partnership which also severed its links to the club. The moves follow Anchor Butter ending its own sponsorship on Tuesday.

Yorkshire County Cricket Club (YCCC) have been accused of "endemic racism" over its handling of allegations from former player Azeem Rafiq.

Rafiq, 30, played for Yorkshire in two spells between 2008 and 2018 and accused them of "institutional racism" over a year ago.

Since then, an independent panel assessed the claims on behalf of Yorkshire CCC and it led to an apology being issued to Rafiq but nobody being disciplined.

On Tuesday, Yorkshire's chairman Roger Hutton was summoned to appear before a parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee to answer questions over the club's handling of the allegations.

Rafiq himself has also been invited to the hearing, which is thought to be happening on 16 November.

It comes amid increasing political pressure on the club with leading politicians - including former Labour leader Ed Miliband and shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves - writing to the England and Wales Cricket Board to demand action and Health Secretary Sajid Javid saying "heads should roll".

Rafiq's allegations against the club have been in the public domain for over a year but the issue has begun to gather major momentum following revelations by ESPNCricinfo over the contents of an independent report into the matter.

The report upheld that Rafiq had been the victim of "racial harassment and bullying" during his time at the club, but it has since emerged that the panel determined repeated use of the word "P**i" against the spinner was delivered "in the spirit of friendly banter".

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is also assessing Yorkshire's handling of the claims and if it decides to punish the club, sanctions could include temporarily stripping Headingley of its status as a Test match venue.

A statement from the Emerald Group read: "We have today taken the decision to remove our brand association with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Headingley Stadium.

"We do not tolerate any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour and the damaging effects this has.

"Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours."

A Yorkshire Tea spokesperson said: "We were upset to read about the experiences of Azeem Rafiq during his time at Yorkshire Country Cricket Club. We wholeheartedly believe that cricket should be a sport for everyone, but his experiences and the way the panel report has been handled don't reflect that.

"Our current sponsorship of YCCC was naturally coming to an end but we have taken the decision to end it with immediate effect."

In a statement the Age Partnership said: "Following the findings in relation to the report of racism within Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Age Partnership has ceased its partnership with immediate effect and has written to the club earlier today to inform them. Age Partnership would like to stress that there is no place for racism in society."

Other companies have said they are looking into their relationship with the club.

Tetley's beer said it has informed the club of its "intention to not extend" beer sponsorship with them beyond the end of their current contract, although it is unclear when this is due to end.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

There also though seems to be another side given that they were close friends, also Rafiq came out with the allegations as he was leaving.

Gary Ballance admits racial slur at ‘best friend’ Azeem Rafiq | Sport | The Times
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I thought we left this sort of behaviour in the 90s??

Even if close friends its not acceptable.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        There also though seems to be another side given that they were close friends, also Rafiq came out with the allegations as he was leaving.

Gary Ballance admits racial slur at ‘best friend’ Azeem Rafiq | Sport | The Times
        That's my point.

Institutional racism is defined in the MacPherson Report as "The collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour that amount to discrimination through prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness, and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people."

linky - https://assets.publishing.service.go...77111/4262.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Of course it is if both parties are fine with it. Or did you want to tell people what to be offended by?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That's my point.

Institutional racism is defined in the MacPherson Report as "The collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour that amount to discrimination through prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness, and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people."

linky - https://assets.publishing.service.go...77111/4262.pdf
            Did you also know that 3 of the 5 person panel are also Asian whose decision was unanimous, hardly thoughtless and ignorant of their own minority culture, also that he has been abused even by his own community for this?
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Really! I would have thought between close friends private cruel banter consented to by both sides is fundamental to free speech. Or do you want to live in Scotland with the thought police!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Did you also know that 3 of the 5 person panel are also Asian whose decision was unanimous, hardly thoughtless and ignorant of their own minority culture, also that he has been abused even by his own community for this?
                You did see the government's race report earlier in the year? They likely took their cues on how to do a report from that.

Comment

I thought we left this sort of behaviour in the 90s??

Sadly if you take a trip in certain parts of Yorkshire it's still around. Many of the surrounding areas of Bradford still use these terms and haven't changed thinking. That's more because of the direct impact on them but that in no way means language or attitudes like that should be acceptable. I've been away from Bradford for over 30 years and I'm shocked by some of the stuff people say when I go back from time to time. I don't mean it's everyone, just every so often people will say something that should have died back in the 90s as you say.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did a gig in Yorkshire a few years back. None of the locals would ever admit to being wrong.

Not one of the best contract roles, was glad to leave.

qh
                    Last edited by quackhandle; 4 November 2021, 13:07.
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X