• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A load of hot air?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

We have land so (I assume) could get a GSHP but I believe they are an absolute fortune.
    The government is going to have to get serious with either the carrot or the stick if they want many people to pay £30k to save perhaps £500 p.a. Unfortunately it looks like they are going with the latter - or "market forces" as they like to call it. With a ten year payback, maybe you'll start to get the uptake. Rooftop solar was more or less killed by similar - you're looking at 20+ years realistically to make your money back on current feed in tariffs.

Comment

Apart from high cost, the biggest problem may be the noise. You won't be able to sit in your garden without hearing a constant hum.

Better if people stopped being so wasteful. At my art thing today all the windows were open but nobody had bothered to turn the radiators off. You go into town in the evening and see big empty office blocks with all the lights on. And why not just put some woolly trousers and a jumper on instead of turning up the heating?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

With them being in the news again, has anyone got a heat pump - inherited one or had one installed?
        Pretty sure my house is unsuitable but it's looking like the writing is on the wall... surely a whole demographic of houses will be untenable.
        The cost will put most people off even if they do have the space for a covered enclosure in the garden (which I don't). And they seem to be forgetting that the grid is pretty stretched now, and they want 30 million electric cars and a similar number of electric heat pumps by 2035. I don't know where all this new electricity is coming from, and more to the point, neither do the morons pushing these gimmicks. It won't be Boris's problem though, as he and Princess Nut Nuts will be miles away from No.10 when the brown stuff hits the fan...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

We only just had a pretty massive cable link installed to Norway. And those offshore wind farms are only getting bigger, what was that story on BBC that the largest turbines individual power X thousand houses?

I do not see the scientific community being too concerned about limited supply and so on. They're quick to criticise the government normally so perhaps someone has done their sums. Modern houses really need very little heating in the UK.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Modern houses really need very little heating in the UK.
            Yes but most of the houses in the UK ain't modern.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
              I really don't understand this government's obsession with heat pumps
              Put simply, if you can power a HP with 100% renewable electricity, irrespective of how efficient the system is the government can say they have eliminated carbon from heating
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Modern houses really need very little heating in the UK.
                That's cos most are shoeboxes. A proper contractor's house takes some heating, and mine's only a year old.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Put simply, if you can power a HP with 100% renewable electricity, irrespective of how efficient the system is the government can say they have eliminated carbon from heating
                  A big IF obviously. And means we are solely and totally dependent on the Grid for all our energy, rather than the inherent backup of dual-fuel. I don't think we've ever had a gas outage, whereas everyone gets the odd powercut... in the future a power failure in winter will mean a village has no heat as well as no light.

Glad we have a couple of log-burners really.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

That's cos most are shoeboxes. A proper contractor's house takes some heating, and mine's only a year old.
                    Pretty sure big new houses have to meet the same regs. You just have the equivalent of 3-4 shoeboxes surely
                    Whereas we have single-pane wooden sash windows, solid brick walls and chimney flues in every room. So that's going to be fun... maybe we need to get our building Listed so we gain exemptions!

Comment

Pretty sure big new houses have to meet the same regs. You just have the equivalent of 3-4 shoeboxes surely
                      Whereas we have single-pane wooden sash windows, solid brick walls and chimney flues in every room. So that's going to be fun... maybe we need to get our building Listed so we gain exemptions!
                      It's fairly bespoke so they seem get around some of the stuff, a lot of glass, top half timber framed and at 3000 sqft fairly big ( I have a lot of books). Yes all the insulation etc and pressure tested for regs. I used to have an old house, all those condensation spots were awful, especially on north walls, front door straight into lounge!
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X