• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Come on Eileen!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on Eileen!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hion-2020.html

Death of Nigel and Carol: Traditional names like Gordon, Stuart, Sally, Sue and even Jonathan fall out of fashion in 2020... but popular Eastern Europe names beginning with K are on the rise
    • Traditional names like Nigel and Carol could now be extinct as new-born names
    • Younger mothers are opting for more modern and shortened names for infants
    • Oliver remains most popular name boys' name for eighth successive year
    • Popularity of hit Netflix series Sex Education inspires surge in Maeve and Otis

Click image for larger version

Name:	49327199-10103097-image-a-1_1634573495334.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	4188167
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The name Fred got buried (under the patio) as well.

Comment

From what I hear from my other half it seems to be de rigure to come up with the most flambouyant name or weirdest spelling possible, or at least it was seven or eight years ago. Shes got three different spellings of Isobel in a single class along with a Luis and Lewis and a few more examples. Also a good hand full of double barrel first names like Lexi-Mae and the like. Couple of the names in the top 10 lists as well though.

As someone with least popular spelling of two for my name it's been the bane of my life having to spell my name everytime someone asks me it. When a client has an email system that uses my first name I just roll my eyes and think, here we go again. The idea of giving your child an off kilter or non phonetic name is just madness to me. They are gonna be stuck correcting it for the rest of their life just so mummy can have a cool name for their little darling. Hacks me right off.

Just looked at the top 100 for both boys and girls and am quite surprised there are some pretty cool names in there though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          From what I hear from my other half it seems to be de rigure to come up with the most flambouyant name or weirdest spelling possible, or at least it was seven or eight years ago. Shes got three different spellings of Isobel in a single class along with a Luis and Lewis and a few more examples. Also a good hand full of double barrel first names like Lexi-Mae and the like. Couple of the names in the top 10 lists as well though.
          Thing is many names like Isabelle and Louis can be spelt more than one way, and they are correct spellings. (See what I did there)

According to statistics out a few days ago a nearly third of mothers in England and Wales giving birth in 2020 were born abroad. While it isn't known what other parents have cultural backgrounds from elsewhere, it just means that most names will have lots of different spellings depending what spelling parents want to align with their own family/cultural backgrounds and the UK.

There are also a few cultures where it is common to have double barrel first names but most people I have met with them just use one name.

The thing I find amusing is when I find middle aged and older people with extra letters in a common name which isn't UK regional/country variation.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Time for Dexys!

My wife quite liked the name Isabelle until her sister "said isabelle necessary on a bike" our daughters were named something else after that .
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Name evolution is fascinating and has said above so many names mean the same: My name is in here: (clue it ain't John). Worth looking at if only for the Canary Islands' version for the English !

Yohanan name evolution - John (given name) - Wikipedia
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Thing is many names like Isabelle and Louis can be spelt more than one way, and they are correct spellings. (See what I did there)

According to statistics out a few days ago a nearly third of mothers in England and Wales giving birth in 2020 were born abroad. While it isn't known what other parents have cultural backgrounds from elsewhere, it just means that most names will have lots of different spellings depending what spelling parents want to align with their own family/cultural backgrounds and the UK.

There are also a few cultures where it is common to have double barrel first names but most people I have met with them just use one name.

The thing I find amusing is when I find middle aged and older people with extra letters in a common name which isn't UK regional/country variation.
                That is very true but the example I gave none of the factors of being born abroad or cultures factor, unless chav fits in to those catagories. I guess if you are around those groups you start to hear the foregin spellings and it rubs off.

Was just searching to see if there is a defacto Isobel and where the spellings orginate from and it's comments like the one below that get my goat. It's one of many but it's a good example the parent isn't thinking about the childs name and just picking a cute name for their little baby, not thinking about the child for the rest of their life. What she wants shouldn't be factor and Boo? And thinking no one one call an Isobel Izzy? Honestly.

I only called mine Isobel on the understanding that nobody would call her Izzy (I wanted her to be Belle or Boo). What did she insist on from the moment she could talk though?!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That is very true but the example I gave none of the factors of being born abroad or cultures factor, unless chav fits in to those catagories. I guess if you are around those groups you start to hear the foregin spellings and it rubs off.

Was just searching to see if there is a defacto Isobel and where the spellings orginate from and it's comments like the one below that get my goat. It's one of many but it's a good example the parent isn't thinking about the childs name and just picking a cute name for their little baby, not thinking about the child for the rest of their life. What she wants shouldn't be factor and Boo? And thinking no one one call an Isobel Izzy? Honestly.
                  Some people don't think their baby will grow up to be a separate individual.....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some people don't think their baby will grow up to be a separate individual.....
                    Co-joined?

Comment

Working...
                    X