• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The City Of Southend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The City Of Southend

Southend is to become a city well according to the PM.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/st...107241477?s=20
    Last edited by SueEllen; 18 October 2021, 14:44.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Keir Starmer has just confirmed that PM has said it.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

PM: Southend to get city status following murder of David Amess

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced that the Queen has agreed Southend will be granted city status following the murder of MP Sir David Amess.
      Johnson said all MPs mourn with Sir David’s family, adding in the Commons: “Sir David was taken from us in a contemptible act of violence striking at the core of what it is to be a member of this House, and violating both the sanctity of the church in which he was killed and the constituency surgery that is so essential to our representative democracy.”

“But we will not allow the manner of Sir David’s death in any way to detract from his accomplishments as a politician or as a human being.”

“Sir David was a patriot who believed passionately in this country, in its people and in its future. He was also one of the nicest, kindest and most gentle individuals ever to grace these benches.”

MPs cheered in the Commons as the Prime Minister announced Southend “will be accorded the city status it so clearly deserves”.

Johnson said: “As it is only a short time since Sir David last put that very case to me in this chamber, I am happy to announce that Her Majesty has agreed that Southend will be accorded the city status it so clearly deserves.”

“That Sir David spent almost 40 years in this House, but not one day in ministerial office, tells everything about where his priorities lay.”

Comment

Much smaller but I found this quite touching...

A mural of Sir David Amess has appeared at a skatepark he opened 13 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_121120776_use.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	4188133
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't want to sound disrespectful but can someone explain what the benefits of being a city are? I don't quite understand how doing this is linked to paying respects to Sire David Amess? I'm not complaining about it, I genuinely don't know.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I don't want to sound disrespectful but can someone explain what the benefits of being a city are? I don't quite understand how doing this is linked to paying respects to Sire David Amess? I'm not complaining about it, I genuinely don't know.
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13841482

Not a lot it would seem.

Comment

It's a pathetic and pointless sentimental gesture.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I'd agree with this. Whilst it was shocking what happened to him, i don't believe that should have changed (if it did) the decision whether or not to make Southend a city. Might as well promote their football team to the EPL at the same time.

Comment

Maybe, but sometimes that's what's needed, and I've heard its happening. The yearly cenotaph rituals are much the same.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I'd agree with this. Whilst it was shocking what happened to him, i don't believe that should have changed (if it did) the decision whether or not to make Southend a city. Might as well promote their football team to the EPL at the same time.
                    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Not a lot it would seem.
                    Which was my conclusion when I was looking around on t'web

I did seem a bit pointless but I was stopping short of calling it pathetic and pointless in case there was something I was missing.

Now it seems there isn't much benefit doing it I'm bemused as to what this achieves though so does seem a very hollow activity. Maybe it's something to do with the job i.e. it's more prestigious to be a MP for a city than a town so it's kind of a award bestowed on him and future MPs of that consituancy that's recognised by fellow MPs.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X