• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

The City Of Southend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Doesn't this effectively downgrade proper cities, with a rich history, places of learning and ancient history?

I mean, you might at well make Swindon a city instead of a dead end town like southend on sea.
    Not the time....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's a nice gesture that ultimately will have very little impact and costs very little to implement. It's a simple thing to do that means a lot to a few.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Doesn't this effectively downgrade proper cities, with a rich history, places of learning and ancient history?

I mean, you might at well make Swindon a city instead of a dead end town like southend on sea.
    Presenting the keys to Swindon. Its like noticing she has crabs...

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You presume their nukes work....
    He lives in Southend ... you presume he has a house

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I live there and all becoming a city means to me is that North Korea now have a nuke aimed at my house.
    You presume their nukes work....

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't want to sound disrespectful but can someone explain what the benefits of being a city are? I don't quite understand how doing this is linked to paying respects to Sire David Amess? I'm not complaining about it, I genuinely don't know.
    I live there and all becoming a city means to me is that North Korea now have a nuke aimed at my house.
    Last edited by TheDude; 19 October 2021, 07:40.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    He campaigned tirelessly for it, so this is a fitting commemoration. He was known for bringing it up all the time.

The benefits of city-ship itself, I have no idea other than a sense of local pride, but that's a separate issue to why doing it seems appropriate.
    Ah.. That would make a lot of sense. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't quite understand how doing this is linked to paying respects to Sire David Amess?
    He campaigned tirelessly for it, so this is a fitting commemoration. He was known for bringing it up all the time.

The benefits of city-ship itself, I have no idea other than a sense of local pride, but that's a separate issue to why doing it seems appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It's a pathetic and pointless sentimental gesture.
    It might be, but it's also something he spent 40 years campaigning for, so it does seem a rather simple tribute to make which will ensure he remains remembered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X