• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want your wallet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Using a phone is more secure than a card. It's a sensible choice as you still have to authenticate on the phone to authorise the transaction, either with Face ID or the Pin number, regardless of the amount involved.
    The fecking idiots faffing around with their phone to pay for 10 minutes at the till are a pain in the arse.

My understanding is that there is no limit on such transactions so if you steal a phone having seen the pin you are laughing.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The fecking idiots faffing around with their phone to pay for 10 minutes at the till are a pain in the arse.

My understanding is that there is no limit on such transactions so if you steal a phone having seen the pin you are laughing.
      That is true, AFAIK.

I don't have NFC enabled on my phone and am highly unlikely ever to.

Comment

yep its hilarious

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...0Apple%20Watch.

Is there a limit for Apple Pay?

No. Unlike contactless card payments that limit you to a £45 spend, there is no limit for Apple Pay.

It means you can pay for your weekly shop, or fill your car up with fuel, all with your iPhone or Apple Watch.
        https://www.moneysupermarket.com/cre...ds/google-pay/

There’s no limit on the value of Google Pay transactions, and there are no fees to download the app or use it to make payments. However, many shops and businesses will limit the amount you can pay without entering a PIN or using fingerprint recognition to the contactless payment limit.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That is true, AFAIK.

I don't have NFC enabled on my phone and am highly unlikely ever to.
          That's because you are an
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That's because you are an
            That is also true

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Dunno if it's just me working with these systems but I it gives me a different view on them. Customers generally say wow great, first thing I think about is the cost, fraud and all the other issues.
              Initial self scanning (mid 90s) loss actually dropped. This was quite surprising but the main reason seemed to be people not cancelling things they had changed their mind about.

As self checkout appeared (about 03/04 was the first except for one notable case) there wasn't much change. Obviously it was pretty quick for people to start with the two standard frauds. This is more prevelant in the UK than elsewhere.

Particular configuration is also relevant. There was a system under development which was good at scanning as things were moved from trolley to belt on the large format SCO lanes around 08/09. Discrepancy between what you were expected to scan and what you did triggered security algos.

Before I retired a UK retailer was trialling that as you wandered around store by CCTV also. It was something similar Amazon picked up on on their initial fresh offering in some markets.

RFID may yet make a comeback in this arena. But it needs appropriate product labelling and that costs a little more at the point of production. Or shed loads more anywhere else in the supply chain.

Cost in an interesting one. There is high initial cost. However my last customers finances suggested they were saving 409k euro annually for each cluster of 8.

The killer cost is the integration to your PoS software. It tends to be a complex area. There are various techniques dependant on what you are dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Same as stealing a card having seen the pin.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Initial self scanning (mid 90s) loss actually dropped. This was quite surprising but the main reason seemed to be people not cancelling things they had changed their mind about.

As self checkout appeared (about 03/04 was the first except for one notable case) there wasn't much change. Obviously it was pretty quick for people to start with the two standard frauds. This is more prevelant in the UK than elsewhere.

Particular configuration is also relevant. There was a system under development which was good at scanning as things were moved from trolley to belt on the large format SCO lanes around 08/09. Discrepancy between what you were expected to scan and what you did triggered security algos.

Before I retired a UK retailer was trialling that as you wandered around store by CCTV also. It was something similar Amazon picked up on on their initial fresh offering in some markets.

RFID may yet make a comeback in this arena. But it needs appropriate product labelling and that costs a little more at the point of production. Or shed loads more anywhere else in the supply chain.

Cost in an interesting one. There is high initial cost. However my last customers finances suggested they were saving 409k euro annually for each cluster of 8.

The killer cost is the integration to your PoS software. It tends to be a complex area. There are various techniques dependant on what you are dealing with.
                  Surely the cost is much less of an issue the bigger the supermarket because of economies of scale.

Self service tills are in the top 5 supermarkets and as you say they are making a lot of savings.

I assume each supermarket / big chain has bespoke POS? If there were a standard it would have a self scan module. Maybe there is an opportunity there? POS/OS the solution for all small retailers.

Wilko are now doing self scan by pretty much just turning their tills around.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Same as stealing a card having seen the pin.
                    less of a risk as most pads have anti snoop guards I tend to use multi finger entry. Phones you will see them hunt & peck.

Personally I would set most cards with a max daily transaction limit unless a trusted and insured retailer or a pre arranged transaction.

Comment

Agree with some above comments. Limit should be much lower, or make it mandatory for all banks to allow us to set a limit. Mine would be 15 quid.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X