• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sacked for 90p

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

He's probably got form for not paying for things and having pissed off enough people...
    Even so, the forces have some of the best union protection out there. Summary dismissal over a quid, or lying about it, sounds awry. Unless he was told "answer this question under oath" or something.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Even so, the forces have some of the best union protection out there. Summary dismissal over a quid, or lying about it, sounds awry. Unless he was told "answer this question under oath" or something.
      OAP forgetting to pay for an item you will get three police cars an arrest and prosecution. Driving with a car number-plate bulb gone, you will be stopped and finned... as the police keep emphasising, it may be a small offences but these usually lead to much bigger crimes.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No, I suspect he told a lie to a superior (they tend to be quite good at interviewing people, after all) to cover up his misdemeanour. That would constitute either an inherent dishonesty or gross insubordination, either or both of which would warrant an immediate dismissal. The Federation - who are also serving policemen in the main - would find it hard to argue otherwise.

And let's face it - who wants policemen out there who cannot be relied on to be honest? I sure as f*** don't.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

No, I suspect he told a lie to a superior (they tend to be quite good at interviewing people, after all) to cover up his misdemeanour. That would constitute either an inherent dishonesty or gross insubordination, either or both of which would warrant an immediate dismissal. The Federation - who are also serving policemen in the main - would find it hard to argue otherwise.

And let's face it - who wants policemen out there who cannot be relied on to be honest? I sure as f*** don't.
          Hard to believe any lie to a superior is an automatic, unquestioned exit or gross misconduct. I'm sure coppers lie about being off sick with a hangover, or whatever, just like everyone else and get found out all the time. Surely they don't operate on a scale "perfect" "sacked" but would frequently be suspended with/without pay, demoted, warned, etc.

Comment

Hard to believe any lie to a superior is an automatic, unquestioned exit or gross misconduct. I'm sure coppers lie about being off sick with a hangover, or whatever, just like everyone else and get found out all the time. Surely they don't operate on a scale "perfect" "sacked" but would frequently be suspended with/without pay, demoted, warned, etc.
            Lying when you are sick so you can take time off can't be proved without digging into your personal life.

Lying about stealing something at work when there are witnesses is different.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Lying when you are sick so you can take time off can't be proved without digging into your personal life.

Lying about stealing something at work when there are witnesses is different.
              People get caught out in lies all the time. You get seen in the pub when you've phoned in sick or whatever... typically that would not get you insta-sacked.

And the principle is entirely clear without you nit-picking every single thing every single person says. Police officers do things wrong all the time and they do not get instantly dismissed even if they lie about it.

Comment

People get caught out in lies all the time. You get seen in the pub when you've phoned in sick or whatever... typically that would not get you insta-sacked.
                Cases like that have been tribunal and generally if you lie about being in the pub, on holiday or whatever when you claim you are sick you can get away with it.

And the principle is entirely clear without you nit-picking every single thing every single person says. Police officers do things wrong all the time and they do not get instantly dismissed even if they lie about it.
                Stealing at work - which is what this is - you don't get away with.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Perhaps. But being caught and challenged after doing so, and then repeatedly lying to your superiors about about it, might do.

I do, however, suspect that a recent very high-profile police officer case covered in the media might have prompted a much harsher result in this particular case. And, like others, i'm guessing that his colleagues did not feel the urge to help him.
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 18 October 2021, 15:52.

Comment

Police officers do things wrong all the time and they do not get instantly dismissed even if they lie about it.
                    This is true as some poor wretches have found out recently, but the answer is in the posts above. His colleagues dobbed him in, and for a reason. The deliberate putting in way below the correct price is an act of arrogance, and he did it in front of people. Do you think it was the first time he acted so arrogantly? Used to see this all the time in the RAF, non team players, leaving people in the tulip etc. Normally if you're a 'good egg' people help you out or give a warning as this is reciprocal behaviour that binds close teams i.e. you can rely on each when the chips are down.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X