• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Students Credit Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Students Credit Card

    Daughter started Uni last year. Have given her an additional card from my current account. But I would like to get her own Credit card to build her own credit history. Does any one know if any banks provide Credit Card for students? Santander and Halifax with whom I have accounts declined to provide one.

    Just checked and HSBC seem to provide one, are there any other banks?

    #2
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Daughter started Uni last year. Have given her an additional card from my current account. But I would like to get her own Credit card to build her own credit history. Does any one know if any banks provide Credit Card for students? Santander and Halifax with whom I have accounts declined to provide one.

    Just checked and HSBC seem to provide one, are there any other banks?
    Try moneysavingexpert
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

    Comment


      #3
      You don't need a credit card to build history, simply having a bank account will do that and make sure she has a mobile phone contract in her name

      IF she wants to use credit, and I see no real reason why a student would given the **** ton of debt she will accrue naturally as a free loading scum i would suggest the type of credit where you only get the credit for the amount of the purchase, klarna and go for the four interest free instalments, having a limit and then spending upto it is a very dangerous habit to get into
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

      I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by eek View Post

        Try moneysavingexpert
        Thanks. Although never heard of it, Vanquis Bank seem to provide one. Are they any good?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

          Thanks. Although never heard of it, Vanquis Bank seem to provide one. Are they any good?
          Vanquis are a high risk bank part of Provident Financial (big in door step lending), will often give credit to those with a poor or non-existent credit history (which explains their very high interest rates), well established and not out and out dodgy but their model exploits those in need
          Last edited by SimonMac; 7 October 2021, 09:49.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

          I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

          Comment


            #6
            How is giving a student a credit card a way to build up good credit history?????
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              How is giving a student a credit card a way to build up good credit history?????
              Owning and using a credit card responsibly builds credit history. same with bank accounts.

              Best way in my mind is get her one , sign up for a monthly subscription say Private eye, set it to pay off the card monthly then lock the card in a safe. Spotless record !

              https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/...ng-credit.html

              You have got her on the edited Electoral roll? She can go on even if it is at your house.

              She has a mobile phone contract in he name? Plusnet do a cheap unlimited minutes and a few gig of data for £10 a month so no excuse not to phone home. Again set it to pay off monthly.



              Last edited by vetran; 7 October 2021, 10:45.
              "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

              I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

                Vanquis are a high risk bank part of Provident Financial (big in door step lending), will often give credit to those with a poor or non-existent credit history (which explains their very high interest rates), well established and not out and out dodgy but their model exploits those in need
                former door step lending - they've sacked if off.

                Backend for Vanquis is Dynamics 365 not that anyone would care...

                And as Vetran points out the best bet will be to use it for a couple of small transactions a month with a direct debit to pay the lot off, something like a PAYE top up or music service subscription would be perfect.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  How is giving a student a credit card a way to build up good credit history?????
                  How would you like to build credit history other than by using credit?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    How would you like to build credit history other than by using credit?
                    Agreed. It seems that people who have only ever operated a bank account, and never borrowed money, have terrible trouble getting loans when they need them because they have no history of managing credit.

                    This is something in one of Martin Lewis' financial whatever guides.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X