• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving outside UK/Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving outside UK/Ireland

Just a little heads up.

From January this year, driving abroad with just GB number plates that had the EU flag on them was illegal. if you wanted to drive outside the UK/Ireland in a UK registered car you needed to have either GB stickers or number plates with GB and a Union Flag on them (You could also have George Cross, Saltire or Welsh Dragon).

Since yesterday this is now illegal too.

You need to have UK stickers or UK & flag number plates.
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...ew-uk-version/

So, anyone who followed the government advice in January needs to fork out again for another set of plates because the UK government has changed the rules again.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Far easier to hire a car locally than jump through hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Far easier to hire a car locally than jump through hoops.
      Not if you are visiting a friend in Normandy and expect to return with shopping.

Its terrible we will have to spend £2 on stickers to apply to our cars showing we are from the United Kingdom not Grand Bretagne.

I suppose it will give the Gendarmes a new target for on the spot fines.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        So, anyone who followed the government advice in January needs to fork out again for another set of plates because the UK government has changed the rules again.
        Nope. If you have a plate with GB on it, you can just get a sticker.

I think that it's rather nice that Northern Ireland is finally recognised on the country code.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Nope. If you have a plate with GB on it, you can just get a sticker.

I think that it's rather nice that Northern Ireland is finally recognised on the country code.
          Maybe Ireland & the EU will finally realise they aren't a misguided region of Ireland?

Comment

What happened in the old days if you didn't have a sticker? And what will happen if you don't have one now? Does anyone care or is it mandatory to get your car on the ferry/train type of thing?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What happened in the old days if you didn't have a sticker? And what will happen if you don't have one now? Does anyone care or is it mandatory to get your car on the ferry/train type of thing?
              You will be marched to a cash point by a gendarme to pay a fine.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Not if you are visiting a friend in Normandy and expect to return with shopping.

Its terrible we will have to spend £2 on stickers to apply to our cars showing we are from the United Kingdom not Grand Bretagne.

I suppose it will give the Gendarmes a new target for on the spot fines.
                This is not an EU rule ... so do try to stop blaming others for your decision.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Could be wrong (happy to be corrected) but it's international law that you're breaking so I guess technically you wouldn't be insured. Then as you are breaking the law you are liable to a fine. When we were in the EU we could have an EU flag and that was sufficient, but now we're an independent country we have to have the flag of that country on our vehicle - as our government has stipulated.

The Tories should have known this from day 1, but seems they're not too bright and make things up as they go along
                  Last edited by Whorty; 29 September 2021, 09:26.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You will be marched to a cash point by a gendarme to pay a fine.
                    Why are you so obsessed with hating the French?
                    It's the UK government that wrote to the UN insisting on the changes. Nothing to do with the French or the EU.

You really should seek therapy for your anger issues, I don't care that you're 83 with high blood pressure, it might help.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X