• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prevent pension eaten by inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prevent pension eaten by inflation

Hello!
    I've been paying myself pension into a private SIPP account for eight years, and I've noticed that the amount of money in the SIPP account nearly sums up to my investments into it.
    I am bad in finance, but I realize that if I retire in say 20 years, my investments will worth much less than they do now because of the inflation.
    So I am afraid I am loosing my money.
    How much yearly % increase can a person have if investing their pension into funds (without being too lucky and begin an experienced investor)?
    Is it feasible to beat the inflation for someone who is not good in finance?
    (I thought of investing in property instead, but because of tax when renting out your property it seems not a good option...)
    Will be grateful for any help...

What is your SIPP currently invested in?

Comment

If you're not good with finance then I wouldn't recommend a pension product that relies on you choosing your own investments if you've seen no growth in eight years. I pay an IFA a tiny percentage of my pot to do that for me as it's far more cost effective than trying to pick funds and stocks myself.

Comment

it's quite a remarkable achievement in its own right to have money in a SIPP that performs so poorly it is exceeded by inflation.
        When inflation goes up so do investment returns. It's just cash that doesn't.

I suspect the OP should check the funds and move them to a tracker fund, or a fund designed for medium to long term investments. Vanguard is highly regarded on here and whilst it's underperforming my S&P500 tracker, it does have average growth of around 7% per annum.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          If you're not good with finance then I wouldn't recommend a pension product that relies on you choosing your own investments if you've seen no growth in eight years. I pay an IFA a tiny percentage of my pot to do that for me as it's far more cost effective than trying to pick funds and stocks myself.
          I'm not very good with finance either but I'm concerned that I haven't planned for retirement. Could you give me the link to this IFA, so that I can take a look and see if I understand any of it, possibly invest very little sum to understand it over a period of one year. After that I can make an informed decision.

Comment

Did you take your investment advice from scoots?

Comment

You did actually invest this money into something, didn't you? I.e., it's not just cash sat in the SIPP?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

I'm not very good with finance either but I'm concerned that I haven't planned for retirement. Could you give me the link to this IFA, so that I can take a look and see if I understand any of it, possibly invest very little sum to understand it over a period of one year. After that I can make an informed decision.
                I've mentioned him a few times on here, Ian Wilson at Forum Wealth. He'll have a chat with you for free and then will tell you how much it will cost from there on.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  You did actually invest this money into something, didn't you? I.e., it's not just cash sat in the SIPP?
                  I did wonder if that's what they meant because i struggled to understand the first sentence

Comment

Working...
                  X