• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would we be better off if we had allowed fracking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would we be better off if we had allowed fracking?

Very much in favour of tackling climate change but think there's been too much box ticking. It will take a while before we can stop using gas altogether and it would have made more sense to be more reliant on our own resources in the interim period. It isn't how much gas we generate but how much we use that is the problem. Just becoming more dependant on foreign resources wasn't going to solve anything.

Similarly with other goods, it isn't what we produce that drives climate change but what we consume. Importing goods from China or emerging countries that understandably don't see climate change as the main priority does not help. Not only may they be less efficient in production but we have to add in the effects of fuel consumed during transport.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 September 2021, 19:02.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

There's also the issue that, in the blind chasing of carbon targets, HMG decided in its wisdom that we didn't need to retain decent gas storage levels. If we hadn't reduced those then we'd be in a better position.

It's quite interesting that we have lots of wind power but we have to pay the Scottish wind farms to turn the turbines off because the energy they generate can't be used where it's needed. Scotland's nice and windy but the south of England is energy greedy (to put it in simple terms) and it seems those designing our renewable energy systems didn't factor that in very well.

Comment

the south of England is energy greedy
      I think we are all too greedy. Just consume without caring about the consequences. I am very green, haven't had my heating on since May and have been having cold showers for months. Don't buy much either.

PS Mainly cos I'm a mean old bastard obviously.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I think we are all too greedy. Just consume without caring about the consequences. I am very green, haven't had my heating on since May and have been having cold showers for months. Don't buy much either.

PS Mainly cos I'm a mean old bastard obviously.
        I was talking more about location of demand vs location of generation in a simplistic way rather than literally

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I was talking more about location of demand vs location of generation in a simplistic way rather than literally
          You mean the vision of Xoggy in a cold shower isn't getting your motor running?

We need storage, green energy is glut & famine we know we need to smooth it out. Hydro or hydrogen storage is possibly the answer.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

It's similar with water.

​​​
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Very much in favour of tackling climate change but think there's been too much box ticking. It will take a while before we can stop using gas altogether and it would have made more sense to be more reliant on our own resources in the interim period. It isn't how much gas we generate but how much we use that is the problem. Just becoming more dependant on foreign resources wasn't going to solve anything.

Similarly with other goods, it isn't what we produce that drives climate change but what we consume. Importing goods from China or emerging countries that understandably don't see climate change as the main priority does not help. Not only may they be less efficient in production but we have to add in the effects of fuel consumed during transport.
              remember Grenfell?
              The cladding on it- highly flammable and the main reason for most of the deaths was approved by one of those green commissions because it checked their boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

remember Grenfell?
                The cladding on it- highly flammable and the main reason for most of the deaths was approved by one of those green commissions because it checked their boxes.
                And it was banned by the Germans, had repeatedly been involved in near disasters and disasters around the world. A few people from the building standards team should be facing corporate manslaughter charges.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I am very green, haven't had my heating on since May
                  Heating on in May! you wastrel, mine comes on on Xmas eve and goes off on boxing day!
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

remember Grenfell?
                    The cladding was a cost-cutting way of getting round rules - don't blame check boxes for that.

How do you explain the lack of sprinklers or an escape path, was that also due to "green commissions"?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X