• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So does this mean the 'cheapest new deal' remains the standard tariff (which will be the cap price) as it's still less than the companies are paying? Or is there any chance of finding better deals now that the companies have more breathing room?
    According to MSE, there's nothing better than standard right now:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...nfirms-new-pr/
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

According to MSE, there's nothing better than standard right now:
      https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...nfirms-new-pr/
      Cheers, hadn't realised he'd already written the article I was waiting on!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        At 1200 notes this is still a better ROI than keeping the heating on.

Just need one for wife and kids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9501M_11.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	4203210

qh
        Some people are actually buying ski wear to wear in their homes as they can't afford their heating bills
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Some people are actually buying ski wear to wear in their homes as they can't afford their heating bills
          I bought some on sale meself, it's warm and actually helps to make money...

Comment

It'll take a while for the market to respond to this - I fully expect that, by the time this cap comes in in April, a few challenger providers will offer 1 year fixed-term deals a little under the price cap to try to tempt people over, but I will be holding out till the middle of the year, until things settle down a bit, before considering locking in to such a deal.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 3 February 2022, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I bought some on sale meself, it's warm and actually helps to make money...

I've actually seen some Deliveroo motorcyclists covered like that...
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't know about skiwear, but thermal underwear has gone out of fashion since central heating became standard and is a cheap, very effective way to stay warm. You can get it cheap places like Mountain Warehouse and I genuinely think it's something that might be worth recommending or gifting to people who are going to struggle.

We've collectively forgotten that a warm house in the UK is a pretty modern thing, there must be a lot of near-forgotten knowledge among our elders. Not only are modern houses inherently warmer than Victorian times, the climate is warmer. All these "imagine having to choose between food and heating" charity adverts - back in the day that wasn't a choice you had. Makes you think how tough people had it, even the relatively wealthy.

Back to the days of hot water bottles, frost on the inside of the window, whole family cuddled up on the sofa to stay warm?!

Comment

So a 54% rise in bills to £1971, on average, and Rishi tackles that with a £200 cut from October via cheap loans to energy companies and a £150 bung in April via a Council Tax rebate for properties in bands A-D, whereas all contractors are obviously in Band H. Yeah, that's going to make a huge difference.

Comment

Forget about Partygate. Cost of living is about to engulf the Tories and feck them good.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      So a 54% rise in bills to £1971, on average, and Rishi tackles that with a £200 cut from October via cheap loans to energy companies and a £150 bung in April via a Council Tax rebate for properties in bands A-D, whereas all contractors are obviously in Band H. Yeah, that's going to make a huge difference.
                      Why do you think rich people in band H deserve any help? How can you possibly justify government giving you money just so you don't have to cut back from champagne to prosecco?

I am in a solid-brick detached house in band G/H (forget) FYI so it's not like I'm unaffected by this. I doubt many here have bigger energy bills than I do. But I still think government efforts should be on those who are hardest hit.

Comment

Working...
                      X