• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I do believe there are some fundamental services that should be under public sector control. ..
    It's one of those ideas like communism that may sound good in theory but doesn't take account of human nature.

Establish a monopoly and, as sure as God made little fishes, bolshy bastards in it will start throwing their weight around and striking!

Not only that, but the management will become lazy and complacent, and subject to all kinds of perverse political motives that have nothing to do with efficiency and in fact generally undermine it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I do believe there are some fundamental services that should be under public sector control. Sadly, looking at the current lot who would be running them, I actually think it's a bad idea... (the opposition don't fill me with confidence either)

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Renationalise them all! It's the only way
    Had contracts at the CEGB. People were rather overpaid but it was an efficient organisation. Wish Thatcher had never denationalised it. We could have built our own power stations.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Renationalise them all! It's the only way.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh dear a big ones going according to rumours....

https://www.theguardian.com/business...nergy-supplier

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'm with, or was with, Igloo too. Dunno who I'll be shifted to.

PS Just checked my Igloo account to see the balance. They pay 3%. That's rather good these days! If I'd noticed that earlier I'd have set my direct debit to £500 a month.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 September 2021, 20:20.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Our second supply is with Igloo. They sent an email yesterday saying "don't worry we're fine" and then a few hours later they weren't fine

For most on CUK it's just an inconvenience, fortunately, to pay even double the good deal we were on... somewhat bleak for others. What're the odds this is belter of a cold, bitter winter?
    I'm moving house in 2 weeks. I'm with OVO but they are forcing me onto a new tarrif that is twice the price the current tarrif as they claim they 'always' close a contract and restart when there is a house move. I did look at other providers but they're all bonkers expensive.

Thankfully I don't spend much as on my tod, but can imagine it's a kick in the teeth for families.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Our second supply is with Igloo. They sent an email yesterday saying "don't worry we're fine" and then a few hours later they weren't fine

For most on CUK it's just an inconvenience, fortunately, to pay even double the good deal we were on... somewhat bleak for others. What're the odds this is belter of a cold, bitter winter?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And 3 more to add to the list

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-cr...-leap-12421309

Industry regulator Ofgem said the customers of Igloo, Symbio Energy and ENSTROGA would be sheltered through the appointment of a new supplier in due course.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Yep, me too, tired to log in to my account to get statements but no joy

Learning point - keep a copy of the latest statement on the NAS
    FYI, I've just downloaded my latest bill from Green.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X