• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ban all guns for civilians other than for farmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban all guns for civilians other than for farmers

There is no need to own a gun
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

geez, you really do post some bolloks.

Comment

Wasn't Derrick Bird a farmer?

Comment

Guns are already banned, for the most part. It's actually quite hard for sports people to do the level of training they need to take part in competitions because of our gun laws.

No amount of paperwork or rules will stop someone from getting hold of a gun if they really want one.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Guns are already banned, for the most part. It's actually quite hard for sports people to do the level of training they need to take part in competitions because of our gun laws.

No amount of paperwork or rules will stop someone from getting hold of a gun if they really want one.
          However, it would seem even including this one give he was a firearms / shotgun cert holder - every single gun massacre we have had has been carried out with legally held firearms by licenced individuals.

I should be clear, I'm not anti-gun (I'm actually a pretty good shot ) BUT the reality is that criminals don't seem to go on shooting sprees, and those that want to, seem to not be able to get their hands on illegal weapons.

Personally, I do think our gun laws are sane as they are - and are strict enough. And I agree that, one way or another, people are going to go mental and kill each other. BUT, I do find it interesting that it's always legally held weapons. It does rather imply that if they couldn't hold them, then these things wouldn't happen.

Comment

It seems there is a reasonable argument to say an annual doctors note to confirm a firearms license holder sanity would be a good measure.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I used to work on a system that held the shotgun certificate holders. I was astonished at the number.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                geez, you really do post some bolloks.
                Not just any old bollocks, but M&S bollocks.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

It's not about stopping people who will put in that level of effort... it's about stopping the people who won't put in that effort. Majority of gun deaths in USA are suicides and domestic violence incidents, and gang/drug related shootings... the type of mass shootings people refer to make up such a small percentage of deaths.

You will absolutely stop pretty close to 100% of domestic violence shootings and suicides with strict gun laws. You will reduce gang/drug related shooting and some mass shootings to a much less degree but who cares... it's still much less deaths overall.

Obviously like you said it's already really hard to get one in UK, I don't think you need any further restrictions... but absolutely agree that you should keep what you have.

Comment

Yeh ban 'em all. What are the main legal uses of guns anyway? Shooting poor little pheasants and other wild birds for sport. Bastards!
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X