• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My contract is finally ending YAY!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Not biological men sorry.

Now women who identify as men can.

I can pretend to be Mike Tindall by wearing a copy of his shirt, I think his missus might notice the difference.
    but will yours?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep - but the OP should have done that 6 months ago, not now.
      Possibly but it would be brave to jump mid pandemic. I decided months ago to move but I have only started looking a few weeks ago.

You & yours first!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

but will yours?
        I can imagine it, "its not touching the sides"

Comment

So for the past year and a half I've had this sweet remote contract with a F500.
          All remote, the manager is a decent guy, did a LOT of progress.
          And then I made the mistake to go on holiday.

The next thing I know, he's brought in a project manager (I'm a tech Lead).
          A PM who spends the next 3 months telling us all how she's "not technical" and meowing at everybody and playing cute.
          The system I build with 3 weekly releases? Gone to hell because she just wants long releases with hotfixes in between - the exact thing they had before I arrived and which ended up with horrible delays.
          Fine
          When I left we were about a month away from ending a massive and horrid upgrade (legacy platform you know the drill).
          That was in october 2020.

It is now August 2021.
          The upgrade is not done yet because everything is in chaos.
          Umpteen different new things are thrown at us- most recent had something with a deadline of Aug 31st that is now Aug 16.
          And then complaints about not meeting the deadlines.

Also, as she has some coding experience (different language altoghther) her Highness thinks she can tell me that my code is wrong because "I have never seen this in my life".

After 14 polite emails in which all the team was copied I literally had to remind her, rather unpolitely that I've bene writing code longer than she's been alive and that much as her input is appreciated it is not my job to teach her how to code.

She went on.
          I literally had to remind her i'm an expensive resource and she's wasting company money.
          THis has not been funny.

I could get an extension- the boss wants me to stay but I won't. I don't have anything else yet but I'm glad to live off my savings than deal with this mess again.
          /rant off

Madness, this is the perfect contract, feed on it for years just let it wash over your head and invoice

Comment

where there is mess there is a need for contractors

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              Chaos breeds opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                Most of my contracts are going in and fixing the mess of the previous lot ... it's a win-win situation .... maybe that's what this new PM is doing now
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Hmmm so client decides to change how things are run in their company and it all goes to rattulip. Not the first and won't be the last.

Why would I, the contractor, care? Not my circus not my monkeys.....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Hmmm so client decides to change how things are run in their company and it all goes to rattulip. Not the first and won't be the last.

Why would I, the contractor, care? Not my circus not my monkeys.....
                    I don't anymore. have 6 weeks to go and lining up interviews.
                    The thing is- this sort of mentality and ****ery is WHY I was brought in. This is what I was supposed to fix. This was what I fixed until boss decided to fall back into the same bulltulip they'd done for 10 years.

Comment

I don't anymore. have 6 weeks to go and lining up interviews.
                      The thing is- this sort of mentality and ****ery is WHY I was brought in. This is what I was supposed to fix. This was what I fixed until boss decided to fall back into the same bulltulip they'd done for 10 years.
                      Demoralise staff,
                      Screw up company,
                      Hire external highly paid experts to fix,
                      Staff work really hard to fix issues now they are empowered.
                      Credit external experts and managerial acumen for bringing them in.
                      Screw staff on wages to pay for external experts.
                      Staff leave and demoralised.
                      Company is screwed again.

Rinse & repeat.

Pretty much standard sadly.

Comment

Working...
                      X