• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non Chronological CV’s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Chronological CV’s

I, like many others I guess, have quite a long contracting history and usually I only focus on the most recent roles. However this misses some of the older projects and experience I’d like to call out.

Has anyone switched a non-liner CV, which focuses on a few key examples of client work not tied to dates, just under the general umbrella of “MyCo”
    Last edited by SimonMac; 2 August 2021, 20:00.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

No but I have seen CV's with a key achievments section before the chonologicial list which pulls out activities and achievements that are extremely relevant to the contract in hand. This would give you the opportunity to pull forward the usefull elements that might otherwise have ended up on page three for example. I don't see any reason this key achievements could take up a good chunk of the first page with the rest starting lower down or even on page two. That said I'd personally rather not have key achievements taking over the document as they are 'Key' not 'All' but if they are directly relevant then why not have it as long as it needs to be I guess.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What about providing them with an SQLite file and some suggested queries?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        What about providing them with an SQLite file and some suggested queries?
        He's going for a first line gig. Not sure they would know what to do with it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          No but I have seen CV's with a key achievments section before the chonologicial list which pulls out activities and achievements that are extremely relevant to the contract in hand. This would give you the opportunity to pull forward the usefull elements that might otherwise have ended up on page three for example. I don't see any reason this key achievements could take up a good chunk of the first page with the rest starting lower down or even on page two. That said I'd personally rather not have key achievements taking over the document as they are 'Key' not 'All' but if they are directly relevant then why not have it as long as it needs to be I guess.
          This is exactly what I do. Given most hiring managers don't read the whole CV anyway, and barely have the patience to read the first page, I find this works well.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I, like many others I guess, have quite a long contracting history and usually I only focus on the most recent roles. However this misses some of the older projects and experience I’d like to call out.

Has anyone switched a non-liner CV, which focuses on a few key examples of client work not tied to dates, just under the general umbrella of “MyCo”
            Yep, my CV is like that. Changed it a few years back to avoid the usual long, chronological style. Name of MyCo with start month/year to present. Then just names key clients along with project details. Seems to work, not had any issues landing new work.

Has the added advantage of "losing" any occasional gaps between contracts.
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Isn't that a 'functional CV' or some such? Even though CV writing companies claim they're better, I've never seen one actually get past an agent or HR as it seems they can't cope unless it's chronological.

I'd go with NLUK's suggestion of a key achievements or key experience section that highlights stuff relevant to the role ahead of your chronological blurb. It's a reasonable mix of functional and chronological.

You'll still have the challenge of proving that the experience gained while doing your NVQ level 1 in tea making from 1984 is still relevant now everyone has Nespresso machines.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Isn't that a 'functional CV' or some such? Even though CV writing companies claim they're better, I've never seen one actually get past an agent or HR as it seems they can't cope unless it's chronological.

I'd go with NLUK's suggestion of a key achievements or key experience section that highlights stuff relevant to the role ahead of your chronological blurb. It's a reasonable mix of functional and chronological.

You'll still have the challenge of proving that the experience gained while doing your NVQ level 1 in tea making from 1984 is still relevant now everyone has Nespresso machines.
                Same experience here - I tried this, based off a webinar and got *awful* results. In fact, I got no results - in the end I gave up and switched back to a more traditional CV.

I even ended up dropping off MyCo in the end, after having to explain to waaaay too many agents that the company with my name in it, is my company.

In my experience, nobody in the process is geared up for accepting CV's out of the norm - so, to me, give them what they want.

What I do is dedicate the first 2/3rds of my first page to a Profile (Bordering on cover letter) and Skills Outline. The former in particular highlights some key achievements that I'm keen to get over. And then the last 1/3rd I have my latest role.

I've even had trouble explaining multiple projects for a single consultancy before - some of these people are just woefully inept
                Last edited by vwdan; 3 August 2021, 07:59.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

I've even had trouble explaining multiple projects for a single consultancy before - some of these people are just woefully inept
                  I've had this.

Some people are just stupid.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I've had this.

Some people recruitment agents are just stupid.
                    FTFY.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X