• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You've been pinged...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've been pinged...

Or third wave for those like me who downloaded the app and almost immediately deleted it when you found out actually how tulip it is.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/22/nhs-c...week-14970811/

A record number of people were told to self isolate by the NHS Covid-19 app last week.

New figures have shown that 618,903 alerts were sent to users in England and Wales in the week to July 14.

It comes as the Government is set to reveal a ‘very narrow’ list of key industries where workers will be exempt from self isolation rules, if they have been double vaccinated.

The app notifies a person when they had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive for coronavirus and advises them to quarantine.

Several businesses have reported staff shortages, while some supermarket shelves are also empty due to the number of people having to stay at home.

The increase is up by around 15% on the previous week, when 520,194 notifications were sent out.

But, in that time, cases have increased by 40% which should have led to a steeper rise in alerts.

Commentators have suggested that this shows people have been deleting the app or turning off contact tracing in order to avoid being notified.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...land-hit-covid

Transport
    Some mainline railway signal locations are at “critical levels” in terms of staff shortages, according to the RMT union. Its general secretary told the BBC that four out of five “very important” signal locations on the mainline are at critical levels and there was one location where 17 signallers have been told to isolate.

Trains and buses across England have been cancelled at short notice and several tube lines were forced to close earlier this week due to staff in control rooms and signalling stations needing to self-isolate.

Temporary bus timetables have been put in place in parts of Yorkshire, while the number of staff self-isolating at West Midlands Railway has quadrupled in recent weeks.

Councils
    Garden waste collections have been hit hard in parts of England as councils struggle. Liverpool city council suspended garden waste collections for a fortnight after one in four staff reported absent for reasons related to coronavirus. Bristol Waste suspended garden waste collections for 10 weeks after reporting a “significant reduction in drivers” due to a national shortage and the impact of the pandemic. Councils in Norfolk, Sandwell, Coventry and Lancashire also reported problems.

Healthcare
    Hospital bosses have said staff isolations are affecting their ability to deliver care, according to Chris Hopson of NHS Providers, who has called for a solution “as a matter of urgency”. NHS attempts to deal with a huge backlog of routine care at the same time as treating rising numbers of Covid patients was becoming increasingly difficult, he added. Last week, managers at South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS foundation trust asked staff to postpone holidays owing to the area having one of the highest infection rates in the country.

Schools
    More than 1 million state school pupils in England missed classes last week because of coronavirus-related reasons, according to figures released by the Department for Education. The estimated number of 1.05 million school students not in class on 15 July was a record high since all children returned to school in March, and up 11.2% on figures from the previous week. It represented 14.3% of state school pupils not attending school for Covid-related reasons, equivalent to about one in every seven students.

Retail
    Retailers are warning of severe staff shortages, with at least a 10th of workers, and up to 30% in some shops, away from their jobs. With disruption to deliveries and thousands of shelf stackers and other staff isolating, some supermarkets are running short of supplies. Marks & Spencer has said it may need to reduce its opening hours, while other retailers, including Iceland, have been forced to temporarily close some stores.

Manufacturing
    Factories across the UK are struggling to operate due to hundreds of staff being off at once, with some plants on the verge of shutting and others cutting output. Carmaker Stellantis’ Vauxhall van factory in Luton is moving from three shifts to two, while Nissan has adjusted production in some areas of its Sunderland plant. More than three-quarters of manufacturers have been disrupted by test and trace, according to the industry body Make UK, with some plants suffering absences of up to 25% of staff.

Hospitality
    Industry leaders believe as many as a fifth of all staff in the hospitality sector – which employs more than 3 million people nationwide – are being forced to isolate at any one time. With whole teams being “pinged” at once, pubs, restaurants and hotels have been forced to temporarily close. The pub chain Greene King said it had to shut 33 of its pubs last week. Venues were already struggling to find staff amid a fall in overseas workers coming to Britain due to Covid and Brexit.

Logistics
    Shortages of lorry drivers due to self-isolation are causing disruption for supermarkets and petrol stations, with BP forced to close some of its forecourts due to shortages of fuel deliveries. A Food and Drink Federation survey found three-quarters of its members had driver shortages, exacerbating a lack of available staff in the logistics industry across the UK this year. Royal Mail has warned of disruption in 12 regions of the UK – including Bath, Enfield, and Southport – as thousands of postal workers are forced to isolate. The baker Warburtons has also warned it is struggling to maintain local deliveries.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I'm still surprised so many people have the app and still use it. Unless they specifically hope to get pinged so they can get out of work or something!

Must admit, not really seen people using it when I go out. And most places, well pretty much every place I go to, say you need to fill in a piece of paper but rarely do they actually give anything to sign. And no one checks the details are correct.

It's all a bit cocked up!
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I never installed it and just fake doing the check in if asked.

If waiting to enter an establishment, I will watch to see if the staff hover over to check what you're doing and will say I don't have a smart phone if they're really nit picky.

That or I put in BoJo's phone number...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If waiting to enter an establishment, I will watch to see if the staff hover over to check what you're doing and will say I don't have a smart phone if they're really nit picky.

That or I put in BoJo's phone number...
        Don't tell me, you gave Bojo technical instruction? How big a grant did YOU get?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Don't tell me, you gave Bojo technical instruction? How big a grant did YOU get?
          Nah, got it from the same place everyone else did
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56937889

Comment

Nah, got it from the same place everyone else did
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56937889
            no fun!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You broke the law then!

Cereal offender also, no doubt.

Comment

app doesnt install on my nokia E71, so feck it

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  app doesnt install on my nokia E71, so feck it
                  best phone until the iPhone4.
                  I had one when the iPhone was launched. I laughed. A lot.
                  E71 had nearly a week of battery and was a perfectly capable email device. "WTF is this touch screen with a 4 hour battery? That'll never go anywhere."
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

best phone until the iPhone4.
                    I had one when the iPhone was launched. I laughed. A lot.
                    E71 had nearly a week of battery and was a perfectly capable email device. "WTF is this touch screen with a 4 hour battery? That'll never go anywhere."
                    i've got an SPV C500 too, still use both of them for laughs. both on burner lebara chips.
                    get some great looks from the fanbois in bars etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X