• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

8 million jobs available in America!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

No my argument is based on the staff not wanting to work for peanuts and the restaurant/farmers complaining because they have spent years paying peanuts something that is being reported in the media again & again with facts & figures. Yours is obviously because you support slavery.
    Hmmm, I support slavery? Inneresting.

If these workers don't want to work for these salaries, they can choose not to. Then the employers will have to pay more, and the result will be the goods will cost more and inflation will go up (but I'm relaxed with that, makes no difference to me).

Work skills are supply and demand, which is why some of us with niche skills can change a premium because there is a demand for us and little supply. There is a barrier to entry to certain jobs, not to others.

You seem to vote Tory, yet want a communist state. Strange. I'd have thought being so far to the right you'd be more supportive of Maggie and her free market vision.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Hmmm, I support slavery? Inneresting.

If these workers don't want to work for these salaries, they can choose not to. Then the employers will have to pay more, and the result will be the goods will cost more and inflation will go up (but I'm relaxed with that, makes no difference to me).

Work skills are supply and demand, which is why some of us with niche skills can change a premium because there is a demand for us and little supply. There is a barrier to entry to certain jobs, not to others.

You seem to vote Tory, yet want a communist state. Strange. I'd have thought being so far to the right you'd be more supportive of Maggie and her free market vision.
      Not sure if you are being disingenuous or are a bit thick.

A. The EU staff were willing to work for less as there is a wage premium compared to home.
      B. As a result the wages fell and no brits wanted to work for what are slave wages for established brits.
      C. Brexit & Covid have driven the EU cheap labour back home.
      D. Hauliers, Farmers & hospitality employers are bemoaning the fact no one wants to work for pathetic wages. They are now forced to put up the wages (oh capitalism - supply & demand) - boo hoo!
      E. Warty & co are agreeing that employers should pay tulip wages that are basically slavery.
      F. Warty suggests that if people don't want to work for crap wages they should get another job (which is exactly what has happened).

ah E&F is for Extreme Feckwit!

I'm actually a compassionate capitalist. I want the market to decide on many things and a government on others. As far as importing cheap labour so those on the bottom rung are pushed into a swamp I don't agree both because its unfair and because the rest of the citizens will subsidise the employers as we can't allow people to starve because their employers won't pay a fair wage.

If you think that is communism you are a bit thick.

By the way communism is normally symbolised by those at the top who don't fight for those at the bottom because they are afraid. Sounds like you are afraid.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A. The EU staff were willing to work for less as there is a wage premium compared to home.
        Simple supply and demand.

B. As a result the wages fell and no brits wanted to work for what are slave wages for established brits.
        Supply and demand in jobs with little to no barrier to entry.

C. Brexit & Covid have driven the EU cheap labour back home.
        Ok, so the supply has reduced. Isn't that what you wanted?

D. Hauliers, Farmers & hospitality employers are bemoaning the fact no one wants to work for pathetic wages. They are now forced to put up the wages (oh capitalism - supply & demand) - boo hoo!
        With a reduced supply in workers, and demand higher, wages will have to go up. Isn't this what you wanted? So why are you whinging?

E. Warty & co are agreeing that employers should pay tulip wages that are basically slavery.
        Nope. But I am happy with supply and demand dictating salaries. Quite frankly, I couldn't give two hoots how much manual/unskilled workers earn.

F. Warty suggests that if people don't want to work for crap wages they should get another job (which is exactly what has happened).
        If this is what has happened, and presumably the workers are happy with that, then why are you so angry?

I'm actually a compassionate capitalist. I want the market to decide on many things and a government on others. As far as importing cheap labour so those on the bottom rung are pushed into a swamp I don't agree both because its unfair and because the rest of the citizens will subsidise the employers as we can't allow people to starve because their employers won't pay a fair wage.
        I don't know about you being an oxymoron, but you are certainly a moron.

I want the market to decide on many things and a government on others. As far as importing cheap labour so those on the bottom rung are pushed into a swamp I don't agree both because its unfair and because the rest of the citizens will subsidise the employers as we can't allow people to starve because their employers won't pay a fair wage.
        Cake and eat it?

If you think that is communism you are a bit thick.
        No, what I really think is you have no idea what you are talking about.

By the way communism is normally symbolised by those at the top who don't fight for those at the bottom because they are afraid. Sounds like you are afraid.
        Cool, you think I'm at the top Now, when you're ready, can I have my order of burger and fries now?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Quite frankly, I couldn't give two hoots how much manual/unskilled workers earn.

well at last you are honest.

I do care that is where we differ.

Assuming you talk to people behind the counter like you do in your post I bet you eat a lot more spit & tulip than you realise.
          Last edited by vetran; 15 July 2021, 08:18.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

well at last you are honest.

I do care that is where we differ.

Assuming you talk to people behind the counter like you do in your post I bet you eat a lot more spit & tulip than you realise.
            I treat everyone the same, and with respect, and I always tip well. But good for you fighting their corner, on a random UK internet forum - yep, that should change the world for them

Comment

Working...
            X