• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM apologised for "an error of judgement" in scrapping most coronavirus restrictions!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Damn agreeing with aTw.

if we are as completely vaccinated as we can be for COVID (i.e. everyone has been offered vaccine, sorry those who refuse Darwin was meaning you) and we do it in the summer it makes sense rather than during a cooler period.

Masks for flu probably but the vaccine is 50% effective (it will probably have a boost due to Covid research as may treatment) so the deaths of 4000 people annually are probably half what could be.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavi...are-influenza/
    The flu thing is going to be very interesting... I had my flu jab late last year and despite self isolating due to a ping on the app I managed to catch a dose of flu about a month ago. I mean flu not a cough. Felt like crap for 5 days and had a day in bed. I shudder to think what I'd been like if the flu jab hadn't reduced the symptoms. Definitely not covid as I had a proper test when my app pinged and did the flow tests every day.

If I can be ill with a flu jab and one covid vaccine (at the time) whilst taking covid measures and being isolated I'm not holding much hope for flu season.

We seem to be talking about flu in a bit of a glib way. Anyone that's had a proper dose won't be taking flu season very lightly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

This could have been substantially reduced with very cheap measures like masks on transport Oct-Mar and strict ban on anybody who cought/sneezes to turn up at work and infect other people.

25k is a LOT per year, all deaths on roads are 5 times smaller.
      Yeah! I would hardly ever have to work in an office in winter.

AtW for PM!!!
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Vote for me and I guarantee a reign of terror that this country has never seen!

Comment

Vote for me and you think Richard Gere suffered??? I present Squirrel suppositories
          Vote aTw!!! not the worst option, it could be MF!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Vote for me and I guarantee a reign of terror that this country has never seen!

What getting rid of your political enemies like Johnson, Gove, Patel and MF?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              What getting rid of your political enemies like Johnson, Gove, Patel and MF?
              Pygmies can't be my enemies, so that leaves MF - he still has not refunded £99.99 for a pack of Jaffa cakes

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                We seem to be talking about flu in a bit of a glib way. Anyone that's had a proper dose won't be taking flu season very lightly.
                People often do. I had a colleague that swore blind he got flu 2-3 times a year. I told him that, on average, each of us gets flu once every 7-10 years but he wasn't buying it - he just said he must be a statistical outlier. The truth is that a lot of people think their cold is a flu (colds can be nasty enough, no denying that), but actual flu is a serious, horrible disease that kills thousands every year - there's no toughing it out at the office after a couple of Beechams.
                Agree wholeheartedly with what many others have said - if nothing else comes out of Covid beyond a bit more care and responsibility around contagious diseases in general, then that will at least be something. If they could also turn this new mRna vaccine tech on the flu and a few of the more common cold-causing viruses, that would be good as well.

Comment

Working...
                X