• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

China goes shopping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China goes shopping

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-program.html

Beijing prepares to fill the vacuum left by Biden's premature military exit from the nation with $62B investment plan for its 'Belt and Road' program
    • American troops have finally departed their main military base in Afghanistan
    • China has been waiting in the wings in order to do a deal with Kabul
    • The country wants to extend its 'Belt and Road' program to Afghanistan
    • Program would see a direct land corridor between Afghanistan and China through northwest Pakistan constructed
    • Deal could give China strategic foothold in the region for trade with the country acting as a central hub connecting the Middle East, Central Asia and Europe
    • But there remains the air of unpredictability with lasting peace uncertain with Taliban likely to make a resurgence in the region
    Well there is a surprise, I wonder how ISIS will fare?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The Taliban don't take kindly to foreigners meddling in their country.

The Chinese belt and road might prove a magnet for IEDs.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Yep, China might as well give it a go - Britain, Russia and the US have all tried and failed...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

China don't meddle in other developing countries politics though.

They just build, get the materials/things they want and pay the country's government for them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They just build, get the materials/things they want and pay the country's government for them.
          Yep until the country realise they have no minerals left.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This should make heroin deliveries very efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yes but I doubt the Taliban will be pally with any foreign power that gets into bed with the Afghan government.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a Chinese worker getting that posting. Will China supply their own protection force, or rely on the Afghan security services? Rock and a hard place that.
              Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 5 July 2021, 13:53.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Yep, China might as well give it a go - Britain, Russia and the US have all tried and failed...
                That's true although they didn't all attempt to exploit the locals by giving them slave like conditions for an wage that you can't live on. If China pile in and build a ton of slave factories that give the locals some form of work and improve living conditions they may actually be able to pull something off here. They'd probably have to pay the local warlords off of course but with a completely different approach I can see them having a lot more luck than their predecessors to be fair. Don't try and change the entire country that's 100's of years behind in to a modern country, just exploit them and give them money they wouldn't have had and let them run the rest as they want. It certainly sounds like a credible plan.

Most of the middle east hates the west so China might actually be able to make inroads we could never do.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 5 July 2021, 14:13.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Yes but I doubt the Taliban will be pally with any foreign power that gets into bed with the Afghan government.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a Chinese worker getting that posting. Will China supply their own protection force, or rely on the Afghan security services? Rock and a hard place that.
                  Pay the gov lip service with some money, pay the local warlords cash/weapons in hand and you've got a group that will let you pillage their work force and another that will protect them. Double win.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's true although they didn't all attempt to exploit the locals by giving them slave like conditions for an wage that you can't live on. If China pile in and build a ton of slave factories that give the locals some form of work and improve living conditions they may actually be able to pull something off here. They'd probably have to pay the local warlords off of course but with a completely different approach I can see them having a lot more luck than their predecessors to be fair. Don't try and change the entire country that's 100's of years behind in to a modern country, just exploit them and give them money they wouldn't have had and let them run the rest as they want. It certainly sounds like a credible plan.

Most of the middle east hates the west so China might actually be able to make inroads we could never do.
                    I very much doubt that, I've heard that they are actually canny negotiators and as prickly about their honour as the Chinese are. I can't see them happily laying down their guns for the Chinese.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X