• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to lose your job - part 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lose your job - part 1

Mob the Chris Witty and post it online yourself before the victim complains.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-estate-agent

A man who was called a “thug” by Boris Johnson after being filmed accosting Prof Chris Whitty has apologised for “any upset I caused”.

Lewis Hughes, 24, said if he made England’s chief medical officer feel “uncomfortable”, then “I am sorry to him for that”. He said he had lost his job as a result of the video.

The prime minister said he was “shocked at seeing the despicable harassment” after a video posted online appeared to show Whitty being manhandled in a central London park, while he struggled to get away.

“I condemn the behaviour of these thugs,” Johnson said on Twitter. “Our hard-working public servants should not have to face this kind of intimidation on our streets and we will not tolerate it.”

The video, which lasts about 20 seconds and was filmed in St James’s Park, Westminster, shows two men filming in selfie mode as the scientific adviser ducks his head under an arm of one of the men holding on to him and tries to get away.

The men, asking for a selfie, then pulled him back towards them, putting their arms around him as he again attempted to get away, while a voice is heard saying “leave the gentleman alone” before the clip ends.

Hughes, from Romford in east London, said he had lost his job as an estate agent after the incident, telling the Sun: “I absolutely apologise for any upset I caused.

“If I made him feel uncomfortable, which it does look like I did, then I am sorry to him for that.

“He is quite a timid, shy person and I think that is why he didn’t say, ‘Get off me’. If he had said that and I had realised how he felt, I wouldn’t have put my arm round him.”

He said he had been hoping to get a selfie with the chief medical officer to show to his mother, adding: “There was no malicious intent, I didn’t want to upset him.”

His friend Jonathan Chew, 24, told the newspaper: “We didn’t cause any harm to him. We just wanted a selfie.”

Whitty has not commented publicly and is understood to have dismissed the park incident as “schoolboy behaviour” and said he would not have told anyone if the footage had not already spread online.

The Metropolitan police confirmed that officers spoke to Whitty after the park incident and checked on his welfare, but that he did not want to make any allegations and went on his way.

A spokesperson said officers had been in the vicinity of the incident policing a nearby demonstration and had intervened when they saw what was happening.

The statement continued: “Police remain in contact with the alleged victim. The incident has been recorded as a common assault and continues to be investigated by the Met’s public order crime team.”
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Pair of eejits. If that was their intent, all they needed to do was politely approach and ask rather than grab him.

Comment

The most educational part of the whole article is the last sentence.

"This article was amended on 1 July 2021. Romford is not in Essex as stated in an earlier version."

Comment

“We didn’t cause any harm to him. We just wanted a selfie.”

So that was pre-meditated conspiracy and actual assault

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          “We didn’t cause any harm to him. We just wanted a selfie.”

So that was pre-meditated conspiracy and actual assault
          And he didn't want one but you forced yourself physically on him so deffo assault.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Haven't we all been a bit p*ssed and acted a bit over-friendly with someone? Let (s)he who is without sin and all that..

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
              Haven't we all been a bit p*ssed and acted a bit over-friendly with someone? Let (s)he who is without sin and all that..
              Yeah. Sorry NLUK for hugging you.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                not to the point that the hugged person shouts "let me go" while clearly distressed. I would then desist.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  The most educational part of the whole article is the last sentence.

"This article was amended on 1 July 2021. Romford is not in Essex as stated in an earlier version."
                  The Slaver getting the facts of a story wrong? I thought only the wail did that!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The Slaver getting the facts of a story wrong? I thought only the wail did that!
                    Quite a lot of media sites (and retailers) get confused about what counties places are in.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X