• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

John Bercow next PM?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

The Speaker is supposed to relinquish party politics from their appointment on, hence they are crossbench (i.e. not party affiliates) in the Lords. Bercow breaks that convention on several levels and is the first ex-speaker not to reach the Lords. The thought of him as a leader of anything is imply ludicrous. But then again, so is the current edition of the Labour party
    He didn't get a peerage as direct revenge from the Tories for holding them to account.

He's clearly far too moderate to lead Labour though.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

He didn't get a peerage as direct revenge from the Tories for holding them to account.

He's clearly far too moderate to lead Labour though.
      Actually he was refused a lordship on the basis of perverting parliamentary procedure, exhibiting bias in a supposedly neutral role and in the words of one MP being "an insufferable twat", among other things. He has also changed allegiance several times over his career. His only saving grace was that he was a very good constituency MP, according to friends who lived there.

His joining Labour is a bonus for the Tories, not least because it puts Starmer in an impossible situation.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        Bercow always seemed too full of his own importance to me. No humility = questionable integrity (in my opinion).
        Sounds like he's over qualified for the job then.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Actually he was refused a lordship on the basis of perverting parliamentary procedure, exhibiting bias in a supposedly neutral role and in the words of one MP being "an insufferable twat", among other things. .
          That doesn't at all sound like revenge? They couldn't oust him from the job so this was the best they could manage.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            That doesn't at all sound like revenge? They couldn't oust him from the job so this was the best they could manage.
            They did oust him from the job, by the only means available, which was to put up an opposing candidate in the last election. He resigned rather than be replaced by a Tory candidate.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

52% of the voting public hate him (well probably 49% after the oldest Brexidiots have died). Not a good start. He'd be less popular than Corbyn.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                52% of the voting public hate him (well probably 49% after the oldest Brexidiots have died). Not a good start. He'd be less popular than Corbyn.
                I would venture to guess that even 52% of fbpe remoantards hate him.

Comment

Working...
                X