• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foods from your past?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foods from your past?

In a bit of a nostalgic trip I've been reacquainting myself with Shipman's beef and crab paste. Only to discover a childhood favourite 'bloater paste' seems to be no more.

What foods you grew up with are forgotten these days?

Another I've only ever seen from my mum's cooking is 'Queen of Puddings'; anyone know it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Spam and space dust are two that come readily to mind. Although both are still sold today.

Comment

Tapioca pudding, nice and lumpy. Mmm!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

SAGO

egg custard

Trifle rare to see at parties. it used be the centre of the sweet arrangement.

brains or tongue boiled

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Texan bars.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Gravel stew
            Wood chipping chips
            Shoe leather soup
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

A cabbage cut in half and then covered in tin foil, with cocktail sticks with cheese and pickled onions etc stuck in it at parties, so it ended up looking like a hedgehog

Comment

Originally posted by silent bob View Post
                A cabbage cut in half and then covered in tin foil, with cocktail sticks with cheese and pickled onions etc stuck in it at parties, so it ended up looking like a hedgehog
                Cheese & canned pineapple - the height of sophistication!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A hedgehog cut in half and then covered in tin foil, with cocktail sticks with cheese and pickled onions etc stuck in it at parties, so it ended up looking like a cabbage
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Still available but my dad used to like corned beef, chips and beans for tea. As in, a tin of corned beef cut into thick slices. I don't believe they were particularly poor growing up, but he was born around 1946 so presumably a legacy of rationing and that mindset. It's actually quite nice, better than spam IMO.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X