• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Millennials Are Leaving Six-Figure Tech Jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    WFH changes all this - those "lifestyle" businesses were hit pretty hard by pandemic and many might just be totally unviable: many of these people might be going back to Deloitte now...
    I'd say quite the opposite in some cases. Relocate down to Dorset/Devon/Somerset so you're still near enough to Bristol for commercial reasons while working from home to promote your online artisan business. Etsy, etc provide suitable outlets, along with covering it all via Twitch et al if you want to document how unique the lifestyle that you and so many others are pursuing.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      one of the persons in the videos says reason for leaving that ' as one project finished another started'
      WTF did they expect. Looks to me some people joined tech but were not suited for it.
      This.
      I am not a software engineer, so I cant attest to that side of things in terms of working hours etc but as a PM, when one project finished, I want to start another one.
      To some extent does it not come down to the role you want? If you dont want to go into projects, focus on BAU support. Me personally, Even when I started out as tech support, I hated the monotony of BAU support and couldnt wait to move onto a new project.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        one of the persons in the videos says reason for leaving that ' as one project finished another started'
        WTF did they expect. Looks to me some people joined tech but were not suited for it.
        I do find it funny that that generation is always complaining that they can't afford a house, the 'boomers' have it all etc etc .... how do they think we got there? We worked stupid hours, in crap jobs, for crap companies, whilst living in rented shared housing during the early years of our careers to get where we are now. Problem seems to be that the current generation want it all now, and don't seem to think they have to work for it.

I've lived in some pretty sh*tty places and worked feck loads of hours. Maybe some of these kids need to moan less, and work more
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I do find it funny that that generation is always complaining that they can't afford a house, the 'boomers' have it all etc etc .... how do they think we got there? We worked stupid hours, in crap jobs, for crap companies, whilst living in rented shared housing during the early years of our careers to get where we are now. Problem seems to be that the current generation want it all now, and don't seem to think they have to work for it.

I've lived in some pretty sh*tty places and worked feck loads of hours. Maybe some of these kids need to moan less, and work more
          I think the boomers have been very clever here. They've created a bogey-man for all the self-entitled snowflakes to blame everything on, and instead of actually doing something about it (like voting in someone other than the tories) they just spend their time shouting at the moon on www.permanentlyoffended.com (no idea if that exists or not).

The perfect "look, a squirrel" distraction.

Comment

Speak for yourself

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Speak for yourself
              I was mostly, apart from I'm not a boomer
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I was mostly, apart from I'm not a boomer
                I think I'm Gen X, whatever that means. Who the hell came up with such nonsense?

Comment

If you know the Pre-Covid rents in a shared house, even a crap one, you would understand why they were complaining.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you know the Pre-Covid rents in a shared house, even a crap one, you would understand why they were complaining.
                    Paid £100 for a room back in 2000 (not 2020!), if they can't afford their rents they should either earn more money or find cheaper place, maybe both.
                    Last edited by AtW; 8 June 2021, 20:12.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I think I'm Gen X, whatever that means. Who the hell came up with such nonsense?
                      People who know better? I guess you had no idea that Mayans stopped counting their generations at Gen Z, which signifies imminent end of the world!

Either that or it will be Gen AA

Comment

Working...
                      X