• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a rant: not got a contract due to positive discrimination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Example 2: A London Borough employs a Deaf African Emigrant non English speaking in a social services role. The council had to employ and full time sign language translator to go around with her and to do all her computer inputs and letter typing. All in the name of diversity.
    In the name of diversity? Or because providing jobs to people willing to work is a desirable thing?

Either we embrace people not working and pay them for it. Or we help them work despite their disabilities. Can't have it both ways.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

In the name of diversity? Or because providing jobs to people willing to work is a desirable thing?

Either we embrace people not working and pay them for it. Or we help them work despite their disabilities. Can't have it both ways.
      Not the point. Applicants should be fit for purpose. If their job is to interact with the public then they should be capable of doing so not to the exclusion of others.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I agree, but lack of English is not a disability, would a able bodied person with no English get the job? Thing is if she could read and write English she could interact with the majority of her case load via a tablet etc, a sign translator only for those who can't get back. Because its meant to be reasonable adjustment.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I agree, but lack of English is not a disability
          Give it a year or so - i'm sure someone will manage to win a court case, proving otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I agree, but lack of English is not a disability, would a able bodied person with no English get the job? Thing is if she could read and write English she could interact with the majority of her case load via a tablet etc, a sign translator only for those who can't get back. Because its meant to be reasonable adjustment.
            And that's fair but are there not a few jobs require excellent spoken English as a key part of the role. Could be anything from doctors to first line call handlers. Surely a level of poor english or ability to communicate has to count against you in roles such as that as it's a key aspect of the job? I'm talking bad English that's difficult to understand or is not crystal clear so potentially not being able to achieve the outcome of the interaction? English as a second language on the whole isn't a problem just the odd case for the odd role. I'm sure we've all come across it.

Surely in cases such as this you aren't discriminating against minorities or less able people if that level of English is the reason for a rejection? It's a blocker that would apply to anyone, including txt spkrs and massivly thick UK accents? I'm guessing no one in this day and age would be in their right minds would say no for the fear of reprisal though?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
              Turned down as I'm not a Welsh speaker.
              Originally posted by David71 View Post
              I'm a proud Welshman, got the tattoo and everything
              In English?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

In English?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

In English?

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Lamborghini isn't Welsh
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X