• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are your retirement plans?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the t-shirt ready

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I have never lived or worked anywhere other than the UK so have absolutely no idea if the grass would be greener. I like visiting other places but living there? I might like it, I might not but unlikely to really get the opportunity in reality.

As mentioned on these fora many times, I moved up from a Sussex seaside town that is far from affluent about 7 years ago to London. Yes, it's expensive and I'm fortunate to be earning enough to pay for a pad in a nice part of W8 but I'm renting as I'm not earning that much. I am really enjoying being in London. I'm nicely settled and close to all the things that interest me. I will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

When it comes to retirement, London will not be a sustainable place to live (lottery funding depending). Chances are, I'll end up back in Sussex in my dotage unless something else presents itself.

Comment

I've got the book ready

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Die young, then you don't have to worry.

Worked for one of my grandfathers.

The other poor bastard was on "National Assistance" when he couldn't work any more.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Where's Tarby to come along and tell you to enjoy yourself now as you spend a long time dead?

Comment

Sometimes it feels like half the posters on here are totally retired already

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I plan to take a part time CUK Mod position
                You trying to beat MF's record for shortest MOD career?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  You trying to beat MF's record for shortest MOD career?
                  We are in very different weight categories

Comment

Assuming 30k expenses per year and 30 years of retirement years and taking into account inflation , you need 1.5 million and a fully paid house to retire in the UK. The alternative is , move to a cheaper and sunnier country in retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      Assuming 30k expenses per year and 30 years of retirement years and taking into account inflation , you need 1.5 million and a fully paid house to retire in the UK. The alternative is , move to a cheaper and sunnier country in retirement.
                      Not a bad summation but the assumption about the move is in healthcare costs and healthcare quality. This knocked a move to Spain well and truly on the head for me.
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X