• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The big aerosol blunder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I quickly dumped the old t-shirts for the single-use face masks.
    Good to know. But what do you wear on your face?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

But was your opinion based on aerosol science or common sense. Common sense is more often wrong than science - logically then, it's better to stick to science. It won't guarantee your survival, but it will overall increase the chances. So while you might feel justified, really you were just lucky.

I possibly was lucky - I do know that mask wearing protects the public more than the person wearing a mask.

I just thought it more sensible that if you should wear a mask if you have a cold, you should also wear a mask if you potentially have Covid. Spraying your spit around the place never seemed like a good idea to me.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But initially they didn't recommend face masks at all - I remember the woman advisor saying that (I wore the old t-shirt face masks at that point).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Good to know. But what do you wear on your face?
          A beard?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I shared the article with HWMBO and his first comment was "ego". There's a heck of a lot of people with inflated egos in the sciences. It's not the noble endeavour of hollywood movies, it's who you know, whether your theories are fashionable, whether someone more powerful than you supports your idea, or if your theory contradicts dogma or someone more esteemed than you.

And cross-discipline scientists are often looked down upon as being the worst of them all yet it's often the multi-disciplinary approach that brings the most benefits.
            This is so true, and if they're disparaging and dismissive of other academics imagine what they're like with amateurs and lay peope!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

This is so true, and if they're disparaging and dismissive of other academics imagine what they're like with amateurs and lay peope!
              Some doctors too in my experience.

Did I tell you of my hernia experience?
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Sadly as suggested by the TB experiment if every public indoor space had UV air treatment we could significantly cut transmission of many airborne diseases.

Hardly expensive now. Maybe we can do it on planes as well?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Sadly as suggested by the TB experiment if every public indoor space had UV air treatment we could significantly cut transmission of many airborne diseases.

Hardly expensive now. Maybe we can do it on planes as well?
                  The air is replaced about 20-30 times an hour on an aircraft so is already quite clean. However, if it doesn't add much weight to an aircraft (as that affects how much fuel is needed and therefore the cost of flying) then it could be a useful extra 'belt and braces' approach.

Comment

Working...
                  X