• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sign the client is a timewaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

They tend to be, so called generation snowflake. A lot are also very easily offended, talking with them is like a minefield. I have thick skin.

Well, I think in the very spirit of the thread this is an example of a client that does not have a role and is just doing interviews for interview's sake.
    If you have 6 stages with at least 2 days between them, you'll easily get to a month and no good resource stays on the market for that long.

People more aware of how it works please correct me but: I think that they have to build proof that they've looked for resources in UK before being able to bring someone from outside. And this is very much the case with a lot of the roles I've encountered.

They need some poor buggers to be refused for pesky reasons so they can build-up the file and bring a resource on short leash.
    Businesses don't do that, or at least the many businesses I've worked for don't do that. Certain consultancies might if they have a vested interest in bringing in offshore skills, but UK based corporates don't.

Who is this job with?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Businesses don't do that, or at least the many businesses I've worked for don't do that. Certain consultancies might if they have a vested interest in bringing in offshore skills, but UK based corporates don't.

Who is this job with?
      four letter energy provider.

Why not? What do you think it is stopping them? With the new immigration policy it is free for the grabs. Previously it was slightly more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        What do you think it is stopping them? With the new immigration policy it is free for the grabs. Previously it was slightly more difficult.
        1. A competency and complexity level way beyond what most management can handle.
        2. Far too much work
        If it's not working out for you, then have you considered that maybe you're not very good?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          1. A competency and complexity level way beyond what most management can handle.
          2. Far too much work
          If it's not working out for you, then have you considered that maybe you're not very good?
          I have considered indeed but I don't think it is the case. Usually I was among the top performers with the previous clients. I might lack some communication skills and some of the tech skills are outdated but I think there are also other factors to consider. Most of which not sure I fully understand. Hence this is a conversation that could potentially help myself and others experiencing similar circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

ohh SNMP putting me above the crowd ooooh!
            I know, I hate the fecking thing. The syntax doesn't even parse categorically (when used to its full extent, which no sane person would do).

But that very example has helped me bag more than one contract!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

That's not the only thing that makes you 'special'
              hello darlink its still a no!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X