• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Football Super League

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    I think you've read the room wrong if you think even Arsenal/Spurs fans think this is a good thing.
    They would not think it's a good idea to pay 10 times more for season tickets either as a way to cover small part of overpaid player wages

The bubble of the English football is now bust - welcome to American model.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      The bubble of the English football is now bust - welcome to American model.
      Hopefully this will be a great leveller, I can't see it working out, EPL/UEFA banish them or heavily punish them - could open things up over a long enough period, totally destroyed supporter trust too, all those plastic Man United fans from London might support smaller local teams!

I honestly cannot fathom how the clubs involved think this will be a success now, in all likelihood banished from domestic leagues and there's no guarantee their new league will be a success.

Comment

Hopefully this will be a great leveller
        Yeah, it will level down advertisers for the EPL - there is only so much money to be allocated and it will go to the new SUUUUUUUUUUUUPER Adventure League.

Save your tears for wanna-be billionaires who bought other clubs in EPL hoping to play with the proper wealthy chaps.

Comment

"Boris Johnson threatens to use ‘legislative bomb’ to stop European Super League

Boris Johnson has promised football groups that the government will consider using what he called “a legislative bomb” to stop English clubs joining a breakaway European Super League, as official efforts to thwart the plan were stepped up.

The prime minister and Oliver Dowden, the sports and culture secretary, held a meeting with the heads of the Football Association and Premier League, as well as representatives of fans’ groups from Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur, three of the clubs involved."

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-says-minister

Noice, but selling of ARM to foreign company from Japan was a no brainer for those cretins.

Comment

Against this in principle, but people are painting the completely corrupt governing bodies of UEFA and FIFA as the good guys!
            It's the clubs with the biggest draw punching UEFA on the nose over their plans to expand an already drawn-out Champions League.

The other 14 are also panicking because they'll go bust without them, so despite the threats, won't kick them out of the Premier League.

Still struggling with how Spurs count as big six though when they've not won a title for 60 years.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

If they started to impose random new laws to win the votes of idiots would you be interested?
              Not this government, no. Not being a racist xenophobe, they will never appeal to me.

HTH
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Why shouldn't small clubs go under, or at the very least operate within their means? Why do we need 90 (not sure on exact number and can't be @rsed to check) professional football teams in England (plus the 2 in Scotland )?
                Because the smaller clubs are nurseries for young British players. Many make a steady income of bringing youngsters up and selling their contracts to bigger clubs.

There will only be the academies of the Premier League clubs for youngsters, which will be tiny compared to today.

I agree that many are living beyond their means - Notts County is a sorry example of this. Many wannabe Premier League owners will step away from the EFL if they are unable to play against the big boys.

I have no idea what the fans will do once the smaller clubs start folding and selling off their grounds to developers. Move to non-league clubs possibly, like F.C United of Manchester.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

How do you propose the shake up? The rich landowners are about to take their bags of gold to form a monopoly, if there wasn't enough money before, there sure won't be now.

I think you've read the room wrong if you think even Arsenal/Spurs fans think this is a good thing.
                  We live in a free market. The monopoly will only work if football fans continue to watch these clubs. Fans could vote with their feet, it really is that simple.

As you say, the clubs are owned by a few rich men. It's really, really simple .... stop giving them money. Go watch another team instead, or better still, another sport

Comment

Hopefully this will be a great leveller, I can't see it working out, EPL/UEFA banish them or heavily punish them - could open things up over a long enough period, totally destroyed supporter trust too, all those plastic Man United fans from London might support smaller local teams!

I honestly cannot fathom how the clubs involved think this will be a success now, in all likelihood banished from domestic leagues and there's no guarantee their new league will be a success.
                    They said that about darts when Phil Taylor and a few of the very top players went to form the PDC .... tell me, how well did that work out for the BDO?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Against this in principle, but people are painting the completely corrupt governing bodies of UEFA and FIFA as the good guys!
                      It's the clubs with the biggest draw punching UEFA on the nose over their plans to expand an already drawn-out Champions League.

The other 14 are also panicking because they'll go bust without them, so despite the threats, won't kick them out of the Premier League.

Still struggling with how Spurs count as big six though when they've not won a title for 60 years.
                      It's sour grapes from UEFA, and pure jealousy from those teams not invited to join.

It's interesting to watch the great unwashed get so upset though

Comment

Working...
                      X