• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the UK pursue self sufficiency for environmental and security reasons?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EUSSR ain't exactly anywhere near self sufficient in semiconductors.

And the Septics had better buck their ideas up before the tulip hits the fan in Taiwan.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

If you want an example of self-sufficiency, look no further than the EU, which is self-sufficient in all areas apart from oil and gas and certain raw materials, and there's not lot you can do about that. The US and China are also self sufficient. The UK is too small.
      Did you even read what I wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Blaster is just trying to prove EU will be self sufficient in manure from his postings as usual.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          In light of Vaccine wars, import & export issues etc should we aim to be mostly self sufficient growing enough food and technology that we need to import significantly less from corrupt regimes like China and the EU?

Fewer food miles, we know 7 year olds or slave labour aren't assembling our phones or trainers etc.
          Self-sufficient in food? Chortle! We haven't been that since 1860, so would have no chance!

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Self-sufficient in food? Chortle! We haven't been that since 1860, so would have no chance!
            That fact that we are not self sufficient in food doesn't mean we couldn't be - it just means we like to eat stuff from abroad, whether because of price (cheaper) or availability (more likely). Apparently we were nearly 80% self sufficient in food in the 80's, somewhere in the 60% range now. We wouldn't drink much tea or coffee, or eat much chocolate, but I imagine it is possible if we adjusted our diet to suit. As in, we probably wouldn't starve. Having said that, isn't there a tea plantation in Cornwall?

Comment

Might have to go heavy on Yorkshire tea and pudding diet, plus Cornish peeled spuds - if that’s the price of freedom

Comment

Indeed just pointing out that the EU has already achieved what you're striving for, and the UK trying to do the same in miniature is a pointless exercise. I can see why the debate arose as the UK looks quite weak on its own. Why not buy your clothes from the EU. The world is awash with clothing, the notion of the UK building up a heavily subsidised clothing industry is rather pointless. I would focus more on fishing.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 March 2021, 00:53.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Might have to go heavy on Yorkshire tea and pudding diet, plus Cornish peeled spuds - if that’s the price of freedom
                  Wartime 3000 daily calorie count should do it, bonus cure diabetes type 2

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post

Wartime 3000 daily calorie count should do it, bonus cure diabetes type 2
                    Aye bring back snook and Woolton pie, it'll put hairs on our chests.

Apparently the uk was self sufficient in 1850, having starved millions to death in the Irish potato famine.

The population at the time was 17.9 million.

Now it's 66.6 million.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 March 2021, 11:30.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

There's a huge amount of work needed to bring all that back 'in house'. I really think an minister for onshoring UK industry should be appointed to to find out what investment is needed, what incentives are needed, and get started with some small scale projects to test out ideas.
                      How about Boris nominates Knut Knut for the role? Could pay her say £20m p.a. and maybe bung in £60bn tax payers, to a company she sets up in the Cayman islands for admin work?

I'm sure the Tory faithful would be pleased.
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X